Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Instead of revolving cutting mats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/instead-revolving-cutting-mats-t55977.html)

Annaquilts 07-29-2010 08:50 AM

I just move the mat around too.

zz-pd 07-29-2010 08:59 PM

Thank you for the information. what a great idea. God bless. Penny

sewbaby 07-30-2010 12:32 AM

before glueing mat down i turned lazy susan over and traced outside edge onto back of cutting mat then simply cut inside the line with an old pair of sisors(?) re trimming any rough edges. then used double sided tape so i could get it off if i wanted to.

sewmuchmore 07-31-2010 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by sewbaby
I glued an old cutting mat onto a lazy susan i found at a garage sale then trimmed to fit work well for squaring up.

I have a lazy susan I don't want to gule down my mat. I wonder if you could use the stuff that keep carpet from moving under it if that will work?

Sewze 08-05-2010 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Bell
I have one, too but I forget to use it. I just walk around to the other side of the table.

I have never taken the plastic off of mine.....I just walk around the table also. I'm not good at twisting. LOL

christina bennett 08-05-2010 01:00 AM

A friend of mine just had to have a revolving mat. We saw the price and thought that could buy a lot of fabric. So I took a plastic lazy suzan I bought at the thrift store for .50 traced it on one of those foam locking blocks that go on the floor used in childrens play rooms also found at the thrift. Cut it out with a craft knife,pressed it into the lazy suzan so that the surface was level. Then with craft glue I glued a think card bourd on it. She can place her mat on it and it works great. being able to remove the mat allows us to change mats and packs away easily. You would need a larger lazy susan for the 24x36 mat.
All of this took less time then going to the store and was less than $2.
Have fun!
Christina (chrissy)

christina bennett 08-05-2010 01:03 AM

I am sorry, I should have read on. I just posted the same idea. I did get the edges smooth.
It looks like there are many of us ,creative and frugal,only spending on the good stuff that matters. FABRIC!
Christina (chrissy)

ljptexas 08-05-2010 03:58 AM

I thought I could make my own so wouldn't have to buy! Wrong.. I had a large turn table I used under my kitchen sink, cut a thin piece of wood, glued old cutting mat (didn't want to use new 1 in case this didn't work) on that & then glued wood to top of turn table. I didn't work, it wanted to spin too much. Live & learn. So I used a coupon at Joann's for a rotary mat & just love it.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

fireworkslover 08-05-2010 04:09 AM

I don't have one but am able to use three sides of my cutting table so really don't need it. Plus I've long arms, so I can usually get them in whatever position I need to cut a different angle.