Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Instead Of.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/instead-t86463.html)

Ps 150 12-31-2010 09:32 AM

I've been quilting for a little over a year now and have been blessed with my Gram's hand me down notions and many JoAnn's gift cards for birthdays and Christmases so I haven't given much thought to the price of notions until I went to buy some for my sister who's starting up at 16. Some hints and tricks I've learned from Fons & Porter's like using a bamboo stick instead of a stilhetto (though I had a stilhetto given to me) or using flannel instead of buying a pricey design board (got one of those for Christmas though, :lol: ) but I was wondering what other tricks you ladies (and gents) use. This board is such a wealth of knowledge I feel I'm continually starting threads to tap into it. I learn more here than I did in my class for my machine!

mltquilt 12-31-2010 11:57 AM

If your are doing applique or using fusible for anything parchment paper will work instead of an expensive applique pressing sheet. A portable ironing station can be made using a wooden TV tray for the base. Always take advantage of fabric store coupons (make sure she signs up).

mltquilt

Dodie 12-31-2010 01:15 PM

for applique work a set of washers from the hardware store makes great circles as well as all kids of household items, cups saucers, plates etc tin foil also works in place of an applique sheet a flannel back table cloth makes a great design wall even in a class just roll up to take home and your pieces will not fall off you will find many more things listed on here from time to time

oatw13 12-31-2010 01:24 PM

I use a chopstick for pushing out corners, but you can also use a wooden pencil (the eraser end) or the end of a paintbrush. Also, a small paintbrush is good for cleaning lint away from the needle and bobbin area.

A piece of foam board makes a great (smaller) design wall. I covered one side with black flannel and one side with white flannel using spray adhesive. I put light blocks on the black side and dark blocks on the light side. You can also cut it down to about 15-16" square to lay out the pieces for an individual block.

deema 12-31-2010 01:39 PM

I use bedsheets (cotton and flannel) instead of lqs fabric for backings, sometimes even in tops! - when there is a sale I buy a bunch, you can find them at thrift shops and the like, too, for much cheaper. I *always* shop sales. A cheap plastic tackle box is better than the expensive "sewing kit" I have. Old blankets make great batting.

dakotamaid 12-31-2010 03:10 PM

There all kinds of free patterns out there on the internet, just search and surf!

jojosnana 12-31-2010 03:32 PM

Always use Joannes coupons.....always. And watch for the 50% off the notions sale.....

Ps 150 12-31-2010 10:09 PM

I do tend to buy most of the things I still have to buy, when they're on sale but there are so many "instead of" options that I'd like to learn. To keep my smaller cutting mats in place, I bought those sticky shelf liners that are sold in the dollar stores and cut it to fit my mat and placed it underneath. I also use those silica bags you find in new purses in my bin of safety pins to keep them from rusting. I've been making a list of these tricks to pass them on to my Sis.