Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are instructions wrong?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/instructions-wrong-t278759.html)

ManiacQuilter2 05-18-2016 06:34 AM

Are instructions wrong??

1 Attachment(s)
As I had previous posted, I am working on a quilt pattern called Blueberry Cobbler from the F&P Mar 2004. My question is, they call for a 9.25" cut square and 5.25" square cut from the two fabric to make the quarter triangles. I made a mistake and cut 5.5" squares and the smaller 4.5" unfinished quarter triangle came out perfect but the larger one came out 1/4" short of what was to be an 8.5" unfinished square. I know that when making HSTs, you add 7/8". Did they print the wrong size to cut??

I can use the shorter ones and take the seam out and use them as the setting triangles. I am naming this quilt Wild Cobbler. Here is my progress so far:

yonnikka 05-18-2016 06:48 AM

I'm curious as to your steps in the construction of your quilt. Did you make a sample block first? Or, did you cut ALL of your 5.5 inch blocks (Black and White) before you began to sew? Was there any instruction such as "trim to size" to assure the proper sizing of the SMALLER X blocks, so that they would align perfectly with your multi-colored strippy pieces?

yonnikka 05-18-2016 06:53 AM

When there is a case of errors in Printed Instructions, it is the responsibility of the Publisher (whether a magazine, or a company printing & selling commercial Patterns) to publish and "ERRATA" in their magazine or on their website. Have you tried to go to the website of Fons & Porter and seek their published information? The place to look in the magazines would be a month or two AFTER the date of the issue showing the pattern in question. I hope this makes sense. You might try a google search.

bearisgray 05-18-2016 07:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When making HST's, the theoretical amount to add to the the "finished size" of the cut square is 7/8 inch. Adding one inch works a lot better for me.

They usually end up "really close" to what I want when I add that extra 1/8 inch - and they almost always end up "skimpy" when I add only 7/8 inch.

When making QST's - the theoretical amount to add to the "finished size" of the cut square is 1-1/4 inches.

Adding 1-1/2 inches works better for me when cutting a square into fourths than using the exact 1-1/4 inch theoretical amount to add.

If you cut the 9-1/4 inch squares (what the pattern says) to 9-1/2 inch squares and then trim down the finished units, I think it will turn out better. And then trim the quarter square units like many trim the HSt units.

My theory why I end up with "skimpy" units when cutting a square diagonally into halve or quarters -
When I cut around a template - my piece is a teensy bit larger than when I cut a square up - the "extra" when I cut around a template is taken up by the turn of the seam. Or to put it another way - my unit ends up skimpy when I cut up a square because fabric is taken up by the "turn of the seam"

That may be the reason that the squares that you cut at 5.5 instead of 5.25 inches ended up being "perfect".

Jeanne S 05-18-2016 07:28 AM

I don't know the answer to you question as I am not good with triangles, but wanted to say I love your quilt!!! Brights with black and white is always so dramatic.

ManiacQuilter2 05-18-2016 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7552801)
I don't know the answer to you question as I am not good with triangles, but wanted to say I love your quilt!!! Brights with black and white is always so dramatic.

Thanks Jeanne. I haven't made quarter triangles since the late 80s. I prefer being a stripper like Jenny mostly using strips for my quilts! :) I fortunately just cut two strips 9.25". I did check the F&P website but the oldest correction was from 2005. Most of the quilts I make are on the fly using EQ but this time I made a mistake in trusting the instructions were correct. :(

cashs_mom 05-18-2016 08:10 AM

I'm sorry the instructions were wrong, but I too love the colors. I just love the dramatic look of black and white with brights!

Annaquilts 05-18-2016 08:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLNMcZXwro4

I made a quilt like this using the Missouri Star Quilt company. I was super easy. I am not sure if you can find any help in this video.

dunster 05-18-2016 09:03 AM

Your final squares are 8" and 4" finished, so 9.25" and 5.25" are the correct sizes for cutting quarter square triangles. The pattern is correct, but sometimes it's easier to cut a bit bigger and then square them off.

suern3 05-18-2016 02:49 PM

I don't want to steal this thread, but it brings up a problem I had recently. When making pinwheel blocks I cut them a little larger than needed and when I cut them down, I lost the points and the 1/4 inch allowance. What did I do wrong?