Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Interfacing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/interfacing-t280158.html)

DOTTYMO 07-04-2016 12:17 AM

Interfacing

How long can you store interfacing etc before it goes off? I've been told to by steam a seam fresh every month to do a project is this correct?

Claire123 07-04-2016 12:58 AM

As far as I know there is no expiration for interfacing. It should be fine as long as you store it properly.

ManiacQuilter2 07-04-2016 02:02 AM

I still have at least a half of bolt of Pellon featherweight interfacing for over 20 years and it works fine. Only problem is the pink from the instructions has bled slightly on the interfacing itself.

zennia 07-04-2016 02:20 AM

I have some I bought years ago that I still use with no problems.

Jane Quilter 07-04-2016 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Claire123 (Post 7593433)
As far as I know there is no expiration for interfacing. It should be fine as long as you store it properly.

what is considered properly?

notmorecraft 07-04-2016 03:30 AM

I'm still using interfacing left from wedding dress business, which is probably 20 years old and still working well x

ckcowl 07-04-2016 03:47 AM

There is a difference between interfacing and ( applique fusibles) interfacing is a ( cloth like) product used to add body or keep fabrics from stretching....heavy weights used in collars, cuffs, stiff items; lightweights used behind knits, silks, etc to keep them stable.
Fusibles like steam a seam, heat n bond, wonder under are totally different products.
ive had wonder under and heat n bond that has lasted for years & is still usable. I would imagine that it depends on how it is stored. Protect it from humidity & it should last until you use it.

toverly 07-04-2016 05:02 AM

I think Steam a seam recommends fresh because it is a fusible that is tacky and sticks to itself before you fuse it down. It is perfect for art quilts and raw edge applique. If it is old, it loses that ability and acts like the other fusibles. Recently I took a class and several in the class had "old product". It just didn't work the same. But it did fuse like all the others once an iron was applied.

cashs_mom 07-04-2016 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 7593529)
There is a difference between interfacing and ( applique fusibles) interfacing is a ( cloth like) product used to add body or keep fabrics from stretching....heavy weights used in collars, cuffs, stiff items; lightweights used behind knits, silks, etc to keep them stable.
Fusibles like steam a seam, heat n bond, wonder under are totally different products.
ive had wonder under and heat n bond that has lasted for years & is still usable. I would imagine that it depends on how it is stored. Protect it from humidity & it should last until you use it.

Thank you, ck. I was thinking of pointing out that interfacing and fusible bonding products were 2 different animals completely.

That being said, I've had both that I've had in my sewing room for years and still worked fine. As far as Pellon goes I have no idea. I don't like or use Pellon products often.

quiltsRfun 07-04-2016 07:12 AM

I would think the interfacing in stores is older than a month old.