Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Intimidated By On Point (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/intimidated-point-t287554.html)

Boston1954 04-17-2017 05:32 AM

Thanks so much everyone for the advice, encouragement, and for the visuals. Next time a block calls to me, I may have the courage to topple it, so to speak.

klswift 04-17-2017 06:51 AM

It really isn't any different than straight line quilting, just sideways! The difference is with the edges. So, for your first one (and to get past your fear) simply make regular rows , tilt them sideways and then trim the sides to make it square (rectangle). I know that sounds very simplistic, but if you do it with a small quilt, you will see how it goes together and then you will not have a problem working on a larger one.

NZquilter 04-17-2017 11:30 AM

I've done at least 3 quilts on point. What I find helps me is to lay everything out on, if you are lucky to have one, a design wall. I use my queen size bed, and take pictures as I go. That way I will remember exactly where everything will go after I need to clean it up. You can do it and I think you will love the results!

Jan in VA 04-17-2017 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter (Post 7805874)
Jan's illustration is great (as usual). Thanks Jan......I stay stitched (about 1/8" so the stitching would be in the seam allowance for the binding) around the edge of the entire quilt top so the bias edges wouldn't stretch in the quilting process

Thank you for extending the instructions on this method I wrote. Because the setting triangles made with my method are larger than needed, ON PURPOSE, there is room to trim this section of the quilt all around; I did not mention this in the instructions posted. BUT...Allow yourself slightly MORE than what would be the 1/4" seam allowance when you trim and the quilt blocks will "float" when the border is applied. No risk of losing your points this way!
If you'll note, cutting the squares for the setting triangles the way I do does not give you BIAS edges, so there should be no distortion on handling and quilting. (Nonetheless, I routinely stay stitch around all my tops. as you mention, before quilting, too.)

Jan in VA

EXAMPLE OF "FLOAT"

joyplace 04-17-2017 02:47 PM

I have the Fons&Porter Easy diagonal sets ruler. Has directions for cutting side set triangles and corner set triangles.
Use for blocks up to 12"......... You will enjoy using this ruler.

carolynjo 04-17-2017 05:29 PM

If you make quilts, you are a real quilter. Just keep on making quilts you love and enjoy the process. Kudos to you for trying in spite of health issues. I am there now, myself, and I know how you feel.

SherB 04-23-2017 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made my first on point quilt this weekend. It was a baby quilt. I didn't have a pattern. It was very easy. Bonnie Hunter's math would have been great to have but I managed it on my own![ATTACH=CONFIG]572000[/ATTACH]

lots2do 04-23-2017 09:50 PM

Boston, thanks for starting this thread. I have the same concerns but might go for it after reading all the replies. I just took a paper piecing class and really prefer how the block looks on point.