Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   invisible thread on baby quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/invisible-thread-baby-quilt-t286781.html)

Peckish 03-13-2017 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith (Post 7783838)
The older invisible thread was made of nylon and would stretch and could be caught on little fingers and toes. The newer thread is made of polyester and performs like any other polyester thread so shouldn't be a problem.

I agree. I've heard that, but I have never ever been able to find a quilter who said this actually happened to her or a quilt she made.

illinois 03-14-2017 03:38 AM

I've used invisible thread on a lot of quilts for my grandchildren and have had no problem. Same as for all things around children--responsibility rests with adults who use the product. If threads become loose, the adult needs to take care of it. Traditional threads can wrap around little fingers and toes, too.

quilterpurpledog 03-14-2017 04:24 AM

Would not use it for all of the above reasons. There is no reason to take chances when there are so many beautiful threads to choose from that add a wonderful quilted look that you can see.

PatPitter 03-14-2017 05:27 AM

Someone mentioned even regular thread can wrap around a small finger and toe. I think the difference is you are more likely to see a regular thread than the invisible thread when it is loose.

toverly 03-14-2017 05:45 AM

I think that's a wive's tale. But, just in case, don't use it. I think the idea is that if it happens, it can't be seen to be removed after the baby is away from the quilt. But also, it won't hold up. Invisible thread is like sewing with hair. It's for art quilts, wall hangings and show quilts. It stretches easily and breaks.

JENNR8R 03-14-2017 06:01 AM

I use YLI Monofiliment thread on most of my quilts including baby quilts. I like to see the texture of the quilting instead of thread colors that compete with the piecing. The piecing is always the star.

I've never had a problem with threads coming loose, and I make sure that the stitches are small enough to prevent tiny fingers and toes from catching on them.

I learned about this monofiliment thread from a class that I took from Harriett Hargrave. She recommended using it for baby quilts too. She was adament that YLI was the best brand to use. It works for me.

CanoePam 03-14-2017 06:31 AM

The old nylon invisible thread did stretch and come loose. It also wasn't very bleach or even hot water friendly for baby quilts. The only issue I could think of with polyester invisible thread is just that it is so hard to see any stitches which would pull out and wrap around little fingers or toes. The one I just used on a wall hanging is 90 weight, very very fine. It is the very devil to see! There are other polyester threads in 90-100 weight that have color that might be a better choice.

klswift 03-14-2017 07:14 AM

Think of it like thin fishing line. If it gets loose, it forms loops that will not break or chew thru. This is the dangerous part. A small finger or toe gets caught in that loop and can't break it. I am not usually that concerned about cotton vs. poly cotton thread except when making baby quilts. Then I use 100% cotton thread for this very reason. If after repeated washings a thread breaks, I can repair it. But in reality, the quilts we make today, while treasured, are not kept as heirlooms.

ckcowl 03-14-2017 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R (Post 7784020)
I use YLI Monofiliment thread on most of my quilts including baby quilts. I like to see the texture of the quilting instead of thread colors that compete with the piecing. The piecing is always the star.

I've never had a problem with threads coming loose, and I make sure that the stitches are small enough to prevent tiny fingers and toes from catching on them.

I learned about this monofiliment thread from a class that I took from Harriett Hargrave. She recommended using it for baby quilts too. She was adament that YLI was the best brand to use. It works for me.

i use it too. On lots of quilts. Holds up just fine through use and laundering, have never had a problem and it is nothing like the old ( fishing line) invisible thread of days gone by. I use YLI and the one from Superior Threads ( my favorite- since it comes in a large cone and goes a really long way)- it's an Aurifil brand.

bakermom 03-14-2017 02:21 PM

Any thread can be a hazard,but that doesn't mean it will be. I used monofilament on quilts to send to college with my older kids 17-18 years ago. They are fine. Their kids use them now, no problems.
On the other hand, one DD as a baby nearly lost the end of a toe due to a thread in her sleeper. It wasn't a new sleeper, it had already been worn by 3 other kids. So while it can happen it probably won't. Mom's long hair can create the same risk.