Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Invisible thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/invisible-thread-t75256.html)

Gina_D 11-09-2010 09:27 AM

I like using invisible thread on 'focus' fabrics that I've used & SID. You can't see it from a distance - or your mistakes either... I used cotton thread on the backing. It is soft, not scratchy at all. You need to practice a bit with it first - I used cheap 'invisible' thread once & the thread kept breaking & consequently used a dark cotton thread on a focus fabric quilt & it looked awful. I was a bit turned off, but finally got some nicer quality invisible thread & it works just fine. I used medeira, since it's what is available here. It comes in clear or 'smoke' color.

bluteddi 11-09-2010 10:19 AM

I'ved used it in teh past with wonderful experience... Now withthe new machine, I have not been able to get it to work...The machine has a " thread viewer" so it knows when u break the thread... I can't getitt eve SEE the trhead so it tells me all the time that the thread has broken and stops.. but the thread is fine.... so I gave up on this machine and used cotton.... Got rid of the old machine that wasn't so picky about it's thread.. I think that old one would have sewn with a shoe lace.... it sewned with anything ON anything!!!

quilterjody 11-09-2010 10:26 AM

I like invisible thread for wall hangings and such. My problem is that sometimes the thread catches on the spool and of course I don't notice until it's pulled so tight that it stops my needle. I've learned to put the spool in a certain way and file down the spool to I don't have rough spots for it to catch on.

costumegirl 11-09-2010 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I'ved used it in teh past with wonderful experience... Now withthe new machine, I have not been able to get it to work...The machine has a " thread viewer" so it knows when u break the thread... I can't getitt eve SEE the trhead so it tells me all the time that the thread has broken and stops.. but the thread is fine.... so I gave up on this machine and used cotton.... Got rid of the old machine that wasn't so picky about it's thread.. I think that old one would have sewn with a shoe lace.... it sewned with anything ON anything!!!

Bluteddi - What kind of machine did you have and what is your new machine?

Teresa 54 11-10-2010 04:50 AM

I use the clear Sulky .004 nylon thread to quilt in the ditch on and around applique only so the quilting doesn't distract from the applique.

doricu2 11-10-2010 06:10 AM

Every time I have tried to use it breaks on me. What is the secret to using it.

doricu2 11-10-2010 06:18 AM

where do you buy the wonderfil - invisafil

janb 11-10-2010 06:38 AM

Never heard of or tried invisible thread...sounds interesting, especially for applique and sid...afraid I'm going to have to satisfy my curiosity.

SunQuilts 11-10-2010 12:32 PM

I have used invisible thread with good results. However, the LA quilter who does my large quilts does not like to use the invisible thread; she believes using the quilt (sitting on it, wrapping up in it, etc.) may cause the thread to break. Don't know if that is true but would hate for it to happen!

gale 11-10-2010 12:53 PM

I prefer polyester for invisible thread.