Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Iron before you cut? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/iron-before-you-cut-t57425.html)

Kryssa 08-02-2010 01:31 AM

In my Intro to Quilting class, we were taught to iron out the default fold in our fabric and create a new one after making sure the threads were as straight as possible...

Does everyone do this? I was doing this tonight on 6 yards of backing for a twin quilt and it felt like it was taking forever when all I want to do is sandwich and start quilting :)

Gal 08-02-2010 01:38 AM

I iron everything flat!

Gal

ClairVoyantQuilter 08-02-2010 01:59 AM

Often times fabric is printed slightly off kilter . . .even some of the better cottons. For large pieces, such as backing. . .I always rip abut an inch from the edge since fabric will tear along a thread . . .iron flat . . .then cut the torn edge after folding length wise (but not ironing the fold). As for creating a "new" fold, I personally dont do that and not sure why you would be instructed to do so, but would be interested in the explanation? :)

Rebecca VLQ 08-02-2010 02:13 AM

^^^^Yup. The easiest way to get it square is to rip and trim! If you're making a quilt back, I dunno why you'd need a new fold. You want it flat, flat to start quilting!

MomtoBostonTerriers 08-02-2010 02:15 AM

Yes.

ckcowl 08-02-2010 02:23 AM

the reason for the new fold is because the fabric is too wide to cut without folding it in half, so after pressing out the crease from the bolt fold you simply fold the fabric up so that it is narrow enough for your ruler to go across the fabric to make one smooth cut.

mstandridge 08-02-2010 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kryssa
In my Intro to Quilting class, we were taught to iron out the default fold in our fabric and create a new one after making sure the threads were as straight as possible...

Does everyone do this? I was doing this tonight on 6 yards of backing for a twin quilt and it felt like it was taking forever when all I want to do is sandwich and start quilting :)

eveything should always be ironed, I was once told 'for every seams sewn, a press was needed'. Ironing the backing ensures that your fabric will not have any wrinkles, I throw mine in the dryer for serveral min with a damp hand towel then press while still damp and warm seem to help.

mstandridge 08-02-2010 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
Often times fabric is printed slightly off kilter . . .even some of the better cottons. For large pieces, such as backing. . .I always rip abut an inch from the edge since fabric will tear along a thread . . .iron flat . . .then cut the torn edge after folding length wise (but not ironing the fold). As for creating a "new" fold, I personally dont do that and not sure why you would be instructed to do so, but would be interested in the explanation? :)

some fabric stores do not realize how off they cut fabric. have you ever noticed how the salvage is crocked? so the rip sets the cross grain of fabric then you would fold your fabric with salvaged edges togethered your rip line will line up great. then all cuts are perpendicula to the grain line and fabric pattern will line up better.

cjtinkle 08-02-2010 02:49 AM

I starch, let hang dry, then press.... all fabric before cutting. What a difference it makes!

quiltinghere 08-02-2010 03:04 AM

I IRON EVERYTHING - or as someone mentioned each seam. I have an iron on the deck right next to my machine on a 14" square ironing board I made.

Spray starch will help with the ironing too. SEARCH spray starch and you'll read lots of info...from how to make homemade to why use it in the first place.

I NEVER rip my fabric. Although I've never looked at it under a microscope, 'they' claim it weakens the surrounding threads (a couple of inches wide) when you rip...makes sense to me. Never have in the past - won't in the future.

I was at the fabric store and 'heard' the clerk rip fabric for someone else! YIKES! :shock: One part of me was glad I wasn't buying fabric that day...:) Another part of me wanted to buy fabric, just so she could rip it, and I could say NO to purchasing it. :twisted: Rotten I know - but I didn't act on the thought. ;)