Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   which iron is best for quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/iron-best-quilting-t71208.html)

clem55 10-20-2010 03:32 PM

Mine is a NOrelco easy steam, from walmart, about $20,had for umpteen years. Works real good still, except after I knocked it on floor the temp. dial is off so I just have it set in one spot and leave it. Just hot enough , it isn't heavy, gives lots of steam and has a button you can use to spray out water.

Annaquilts 10-20-2010 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
any brand, but get one with lots of steam holes = I get mine from Walmart or other discount places and if it breaks, I just buy another one.

I do this too but also love the Black and Decker classic.

amma 10-20-2010 04:35 PM

I have a $12 Proctor Silex from Walmart, it doesn't have the auto shut off, and has worked GREAT for over a year now :D:D:D

luvTooQuilt 10-20-2010 04:37 PM

I have two rowentas.. I love them!!

peaceandjoy 10-20-2010 05:08 PM

For my regular ironing board, I have and LOVE my T-Fal iron. Had a Rowenta, too much money for something that started leaking in less than a year!

At the small board I made that sits next to my sewing machine, I didn't want a big iron. Silly me, I tried the Rowenta travel iron. At least I got it with a coupon! Loved how it worked, but the handle broke - in less than a year.

Definitely wanted something small, no auto off (I have my sewing things in a power strip, so know that when I'm done and turn that off, I'm safe). Went to Wal-Mart and found a Proctor Silex w/ steam for less than $10. Not as big as my T-Fal, but not as small as a travel iron. A good compromise. It's working well. The only thing I don't like about it is that if I want a squirt of spray for a stubborn wrinkle, it sprays about six inches away from where the tip of the iron is. Got to learn to aim, lol!

finch 10-21-2010 04:50 AM

I just purchased that small rowenta from Amazon and I love it.I have two of the larger ones,but I like this little purple one the best!

joellenc 10-21-2010 03:38 PM

I use the travel Rowenta and absolutely LOVE it!

bjnicholson 10-21-2010 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
I have had the Black & Decker Classic for years, and I absolutely love it!! I wouldn't have anything else! And they only cost around $30.00. Good investment!

I had one too and it died on me last Friday. Had to buy new. I bought one at JoAnn's forgetting that their coupons can't be used on irons :cry: So I paid $30 for it. It's a Sunbeam and seems to work pretty well. The best part is it's "self-cleaning". I'll keep you posted :lol:

sewingladydi 10-21-2010 03:49 PM

I once got a cheap GE at Walmart and really was a good little iron

Jingle 10-21-2010 04:12 PM

I used a rowenta for years, lowest price from Nancy's and stopped using steam a year ago or so it couldn't be turned off all the way, had to unplug. A few weeks ago it started get hotter than it should, threw it away and started using a little GE again and it works fine. I also have the Black & Decker Classic, no auto shut off, I wanted to save it as it looks old fashioned. If GE stopps working I will use the B&D. No reason to save it if I need an iron.
Rowenta was well worth the money I paid ($30.00).