Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Iron Nearly Caused a Fire (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/iron-nearly-caused-fire-t164343.html)

Dee 10-31-2011 08:19 PM

When we go away for more then a day, I unplug the coffee pot and toaster. Fire dept. told me long ago these items and a iron are the worse fire causes.

Momsmurf 10-31-2011 08:27 PM

Is this the time of the year for iron problems?
Within two weeks both my Maytag cordless and the Shark
died. The Maytag seems to have had a short because suddenly the handle became very hot. I immediately turned it off and unplugged it. I tested it the next day and it was dead.

Then the following week I went to use the cheaper Shark that I keep in the laundry area and although it worked the day before..it also was dead. Tested different outlets...nope.

I always unplug everything...all my machines - everything.

I make it a point to put a bead bracelet around the cords of the appliances and when I plug it in the bracelet is on my wrist. I put it back on the cord when it's unplugged.

Without exception. Word of caution..for those of you who keep your toasters plugged in...don't. If I could talk my husband into unplugging the coffeemaker I would, but that one has a timer on it so that won't do.

Glad you got to the iron when you did.
Better to have the fire department arrive and find everything under control than the consequence.

k3n 11-01-2011 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
wow..thanks for sharing....I am going to put all of my things on serge protectors..my iron is a cordless so the base stays plugged in..wonder if that matters...it has been plugged in for 6 years now...

My iron is cordless too - great aren't they? I have it plugged into a switched socket and I turn it off at the wall when not in use. Yours must have been faulty but this is why I have trouble with these so-called safety features such as 'auto off'. I think they give a false sense of security. :?

I'm glad disaster was averted. And I had to snort with laughter at the lady who asked a couple of pages back if your FABRIC smelled smoky - only a quilter would think of the fabric FIRST! :lol:

cathyvv 11-12-2011 10:56 PM

So glad you found the problem in time!

The auto on/off is probably triggered by a motion detector. My guess is the motion detector malfunctioned. If that's the case, looking at the plug will not help B&D determine the problem.

I, too, have left my iron plugged in by mistake. Luckily, we haven't had a fire from it. I also have a silicon ironing pad to rest the iron on, and find that extremely useful. I think that it provides a bit more protection, since the silicon can handle much higher temps than the ironing board cover.

BrendaK 11-12-2011 11:58 PM

:eek:Glad all turned out ok. I also unplug my iron when it isn't being used. Always good to have reminders. Thanks for sharing. BendaK