Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Iron on or Off in between sewing squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/iron-off-between-sewing-squares-t22673.html)

bearisgray 07-12-2009 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by craftydeb
I keep mine on while I'm sewing. It does go to sleep after it sits for a little bit so each time I need it I have to give it a wake up wiggle...

me, too.

I have a Rowenta - and it doesn't seem to have a definite "OFF" on the dial - so I unplug it when I leave the room.

Eddie 07-12-2009 08:10 AM

Mine stays on all the time while I'm working on something.

BellaBoo 07-12-2009 08:18 AM

I bought the Black and Decker Classic metal non auto shut off, it's hard to find. I found one at Lowes's. To remind me to turn it off I have it plugged into strip. I have a goose neck pole lamp plugged into the same strip. The lamp turns on when I push the power switch on the strip on. This way I know if the light is off the iron is off. Here is a tip that might work with your auto turn off iron. DH told me to keep the pointed end of the iron tilted down and it won't turn off. I found an iron rack that sits at an angle and I put the pointed end down not up on it and my auto shut off iron will stay on. That iron started leaking so it's my fusible iron now.

Ducky 07-12-2009 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by craftydeb
I keep mine on while I'm sewing. It does go to sleep after it sits for a little bit so each time I need it I have to give it a wake up wiggle...

Ditto. Almost verbatim.

mpspeedy 07-12-2009 09:08 AM

I usually turn my iron off when peicing only because my ironing set up is in the basement and my sewing set up is upstairs. It is one way I get a little exercise. I do as much as possible on each trip up or down. I recently purchased that iron you see on Fons and Porter that pops up and down. It has it's moments as I don't have to set it upright everytime I stop ironing. The problem I have with it probably has something to do with my "mpspeedy" persona. It doesn't return to the down position fast enough to suit me. I am also disappointed in it's steam action. It doesn't work real well. Perhaps it is just my particular iron. I had a Bernina iron for more than 15 years. I had to replace it when it began leaking like a sieve.

lfw045 07-12-2009 10:26 AM

I finger press.......then press when the top is finished. That way I don't have to worry with it......it's faster that way too.

Isn't it nice we don't all do things the same way.......lol.

pittsburgpam 07-12-2009 12:30 PM

I leave mine plugged in and on all the time. It has the auto shut off and it is very quick to shut off, I think. I can hardly sew one seam on a dozen blocks without have to tilt it to turn it on again.

And, if I am ironing a big stack and basically keeping the iron in the flat position as my other hand lays out the next piece, it will shut off then too and I have to tilt it back up. It thinks that it has been left in the ironing position for too long without moving.

2wheelwoman 07-12-2009 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I leave mine plugged in and on all the time. It has the auto shut off and it is very quick to shut off, I think. I can hardly sew one seam on a dozen blocks without have to tilt it to turn it on again.

And, if I am ironing a big stack and basically keeping the iron in the flat position as my other hand lays out the next piece, it will shut off then too and I have to tilt it back up. It thinks that it has been left in the ironing position for too long without moving.

Same with mine, and it's annoying. It shuts off very quickly. And, if it's up too long, or down too long, or it's Tuesday, or I'm wearing purple, it decides to shut off. Seems to have a lot of things it's fussy about :lol:

sidmona 07-12-2009 03:43 PM

same here, leave it on but iron has auto off

blahel 07-12-2009 05:43 PM

i am different to everybody else..i do as much sewing as I can and then do a heap at once and then turn the iron off. My iron is in the laundry and my sewing machine in the lounge and they arent next to each other but i like the idea of having to get up and stretch regularly too! I also dont like big power bills...