Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing board cover (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-board-cover-t146113.html)

wvdek 08-19-2011 03:27 AM

I Googled 'ironing board covers' and browsed through until I found a tut I liked.
I was able to reuse my old batting (100% cotton of course) and added some bright and pretty fabric my DH chose. I added binding in a contrasting color sewing elastic into it.

Basically I laid the ironing board upside down on my cutting tableon on top of the fabric and cut out leaving about four inches all around. I hemmed, added the binding/elastic, and sewed together.

I chose not to piece my top as I did not want the seam lines to come through onto my ironed pieces.

Tinabodina 08-19-2011 03:29 AM

I used cotton batting for mind. Like it even better than the store bought ones.

JeannieT 08-19-2011 03:32 AM

When I had to get a new cover, I made one of of cute sewing theme fabric, used batting underneath, but left the old cover and pad on the board and just put the new stuff on top. Gives me extra padding and works just fine.

Patti Mahoney 08-19-2011 03:47 AM

I just did this very same thing with one of my TV tables. I covered it with 3 layers of warm and natural batting then I took a rectangle of fabric measuring 4 inches longer that the table on all sides, rounded off the corners slightly, put a small hem in all seams, leaving a small opening to put a strong string through and put a string through the hem, pulled the string really tightly, with help, tied it in a knot and Voila!.....a small ironing surface to keep by my work area. I just started an applique class, my first ever, real quilting project and I don't have a sewing room or area yet. I made a little sewing area near my favorite chair where I do all of my applique and when I need to make new pieces to applique to my background fabric, I don't have to keep running to the basement where my washroom and ironing board is in order to press my applique seems. When I'm finished, I fold it up and place it back onto the rack with the other tables, out of the way. It's a great little 'quilters helper'..

Originally Posted by dforesee
I saw an adorable tutorial on a blog where a lady had taken a wooden TV tray table she found on clearance. Cut several pieces of batting the size of the top and stacked them. She cut a rectangle of her choice of cover fabric 4 inches larger than the table top all the way around. She laid the cover fabric on a work surface right side down, centered the stack of batting pieces on top of that and then put the tv table upside down on top of that, folded the fabric tightly around to the bottom side of table and secured with a staple gun. Due to the wood's hardness, staples didn't go all the way in, but she finished driving them in with a small hammer. She said it made a perfect foldable ironing table to sit by her sewing machine and use while piecing quilt tops. You couldn't use this to iron your clothes of course, but I thought it sounded perfect for pressing seams as you piece.

quiltymom 08-19-2011 04:06 AM

I use towel with flannel on top!!

Greenheron 08-19-2011 04:11 AM

My Grandmothers, my mother, my MIL and I all padded ironing boards with whatever worn cotton goods we had at hand. Of course our ironing boards were/are really boards and so we could tack on padding: bed spreads, flannel, drapes, mattress pad sides, etc and topped with an old percale sheet, worn to silky smoothness.

I recently had to strip all the layers from GMIL's board (Dpuppy peed on it). I was able to wash/bleach and re-use 80% of the old padding which was at least 60 years old.

As long as you avoid synthetics/vinyl/rubber use what you have.

Heather Hayllar 08-19-2011 04:24 AM

I use a double thickness of old towels, works a treat for me!!

didi 08-19-2011 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by dforesee
I saw an adorable tutorial on a blog where a lady had taken a wooden TV tray table she found on clearance. Cut several pieces of batting the size of the top and stacked them. She cut a rectangle of her choice of cover fabric 4 inches larger than the table top all the way around. She laid the cover fabric on a work surface right side down, centered the stack of batting pieces on top of that and then put the tv table upside down on top of that, folded the fabric tightly around to the bottom side of table and secured with a staple gun. Due to the wood's hardness, staples didn't go all the way in, but she finished driving them in with a small hammer. She said it made a perfect foldable ironing table to sit by her sewing machine and use while piecing quilt tops. You couldn't use this to iron your clothes of course, but I thought it sounded perfect for pressing seams as you piece.

This is a Great Idea......Will try!!!!!!!

nana2 08-19-2011 05:03 AM

Leave it to quilters to find treasurer's that most others cannot see. When my grandmother passed away several years ago we had weeks and weeks of cleaning out, garage sales, hauling to the dump, even stuff that had to be taken to the metal recycle shop, not to mention how much stuff my dad and the four of us grandkids took to our homes. At that time I made a pack with myself to not keep/store things that I did not have a use for. Thru the years some of the dishes I took have gotten broken, etc. because they were used daily or at holidays, but I had the pure joy of handling and using things that had such a wonderful memory. How very very neat that you found an ironing board cover that will remind you so very often of your trip.

kit'smamma 08-19-2011 05:30 AM

A dear friend made my big board with a slab of plywood, a couple of furring stips on the bottom cut to the width and back end of ironing board. I bought some of the batting made to insulate clothing and cotton duck then stapled those to the board. Voila - a big board that cost me about $25 as opposed to the near $100 for the ones advertized in the quilt catalogues.