Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing board cover (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-board-cover-t238231.html)

wolph33 01-06-2014 05:47 AM

Ironing board cover

2 Attachment(s)
Mine was fried,burnt holes and sticky.I can be cheap and I used home dec that I had and I cut it to fit and used heat n bond and now I have a great looking thicker fabric cover with using things I had on hand.woo hoo made me happy

sweet 01-06-2014 05:56 AM

Looks really nice! Ironing boards sure can get beat up at times.

Tartan 01-06-2014 06:02 AM

It looks pretty! Now quick, iron a piece of Freezer paper to the part you use most to keep it nice. I put a new piece of fabric on my ironing board this week as well. Mine is just boring muslin though.

mighty 01-06-2014 07:24 AM

Great job!

wolph33 01-06-2014 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6496077)
It looks pretty! Now quick, iron a piece of Freezer paper to the part you use most to keep it nice. I put a new piece of fabric on my ironing board this week as well. Mine is just boring muslin though.

great tip-never thought of that,thanks

Jingle 01-06-2014 08:08 AM

I just use a tabletop ironing board and I have covered many times with muslin scraps I had. I used all those up and last time I used a silver colored ironing pad. I made an ironing pad like MSQC shows on youtube and now I am using that, it will be fast and easy to make a new cover for that.

DJ 01-06-2014 08:11 AM

Beautiful. I need to recover mine!

JudyTheSewer 01-06-2014 08:46 AM

Nice! I am "frugal" also and have been needing to cover my board (spotted areas, dark areas, sticky). Using home dec fabric is a great idea! All I have is garment fabric and quilting cottons. Currently I have an old unused twin sized sheet thrown over it. There was so much starch on the silver cloth that the sheet is securely stuck on there! I would really like a nicer looking solution. Your's is nice.

Tartan, I am interested in the freezer paper solution. Does the paper scorch? Do you simply replace it when that happens or do you add an additional freezer paper on top? Do fabrics damp from starch affect the paper negatively? I think I'd like to try this the next time I nicely re-cover my board. I love this Quilting Board. I get so many tips and tricks from all of you. It makes quilting and all things sewing so much nicer.

Rodney 01-06-2014 08:54 AM

Nice job on the new cover. My board is a cheap wooden one from a thrift store. I like it. It's small enough that I can set it on the top of my sewing machine cabinet and it's easy to store when I'm not using it. I paid $4 for it and I'm sure I've already gotten my money out of it. The foam behind the fabric is breaking down from age so I'll probably end up re-covering it at some point too.
Rodney

Emma S 01-06-2014 08:58 AM

Yeap love that feeling of making use of something I already have. Love the way yours turned out, why not have something pretty on your board, we sure spend enough time staring at the surface?