Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing Board Covers... do you wash them or throw them away? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-board-covers-do-you-wash-them-throw-them-away-t71432.html)

paintbug 10-22-2010 04:34 AM

Oh, that really brought back memories. My Mother had one of those and I wish I could find one. It never seemed to wear out and like you said, it reflected the heat. "Thanks for the memories"

quiltmom04 10-22-2010 04:36 AM

Throw away. By the time they are that bad, they are usually scorched in some places too, and have adhesive build up that's difficult to remove. I LOVE a fresh new ironing board cover!

LittleMo 10-22-2010 04:46 AM

I throw mine out, but I make my own from rubber backed curtain fabric which I pick up from charity shops for next to nothing. The fabric reflects the heat really well. I always make two at a time.

newestnana 10-22-2010 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by JulieM
Thanks for the replies. The one I have on my ironing board has threads sticking to the surface from starching. I don't like to use my "quilting" cover when I am ironing slacks, blouses, etc.

I was afraid to wash it until now, for fear of damaging the washer..LOL

You iron slacks, blouses, etc? What kind of quilter are you, anyway? (LOL). I thought irons were supposed to be dedicated to sewing!

LINANN 10-22-2010 05:16 AM

I took a piece of plywood almost 36" square, laid a piece of batting on it then a piece of fabric. Gives more ironing room and keeps the starch off of the ironingboard cover.
Linda

bearisgray 10-22-2010 05:25 AM

Wash them until they disintegrate.

For starching - the very few times I've done it - I put another layer of fabric over the ironing board cover - so then I can just pick it up and toss it - or put the fabrics to be starched/sized on a cookie sheet and spray them there.

I use my Big Board ironing surface as my cutting table - and my cat also "assists" - so I use a lint roller between washings to get stray stuff off the surface. Cutting lint - cat "lint"

fireworkslover 10-22-2010 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Oh JanRN, we can only wonder what else you have kept for 40 years! LOL!

I can outdo her, my ironing board is 66 yrs. old. I got it from my Mom and she got it for a wedding shower gift. My parents celebrated their 66 wedding anniversary last June. I have made a larger board that fits over the top of it for a larger pressing surface for quilting.

patdesign 10-22-2010 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by JulieM
I have one that is stiff with starch. Just curious.

I wash mine, but all the new ones say DONT WASH, so I made mine, even the pattern, then I saw a sewing room accessories pattern that has one, can't remember whose pattern at the moment tho.

MarthaT 10-22-2010 05:59 AM

I have one of those heavy ones with rulers and grid printed on it etc. I priced a new one and decided to try washing it first before I put that kind of money into another one. It washed quite well and also shrunk it a little, so now it fits tighter than it did when it was dirty. Wash it. The worst thing that can happen is it will fall apart and you'll have to get a new one anyway.

MaggieLou 10-22-2010 06:02 AM

I've never washed one. The one I have now has a teflon coating so I don't have much trouble with things sticking to it.