Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing Board Covers... do you wash them or throw them away? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-board-covers-do-you-wash-them-throw-them-away-t71432.html)

crankygran 10-22-2010 11:58 AM

I wash mine(also the one with markings and measurements) and make the cover for the portable one, You can get the reflective fabric from many on-line sources,

krisgray 10-22-2010 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign

Originally Posted by JulieM
I have one that is stiff with starch. Just curious.

I wash mine, but all the new ones say DONT WASH, so I made mine, even the pattern, then I saw a sewing room accessories pattern that has one, can't remember whose pattern at the moment tho.

There are some tutorials for covers out there on the web - one is at http:www.modabakeshop.com.

Moon Holiday 10-22-2010 12:27 PM

Back in 2008 I bought the miracle ironing board cover at the Vermont Quilt Expo and I just took it off today so I could wash it. I must say it looks pretty darn good considering the hundreds of hours of use and even getting fusible stuck to it.

ccb2200 10-22-2010 12:57 PM

If it is just stiff from starch I think I would just wash it. My Ironing Board Covers are scortched so I just buy a new one every once in awhile and throw the old one away.

Rubyrednails2 10-22-2010 01:03 PM

I had a nice one but it had gotten pretty stiff with starch and was in need of a good washing. I never used it again! I washed it in warm water let it line dry as I thought the dryer would shrink it. Well, even after line drying it was too small to use again. I wish they made nice ironing board covers today. The fabric is so thin and cheap it is worn out in about a year. I had my other one for YEARS. Oh well, guess that is progress. :)

bgullett 10-22-2010 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Peggi
speaking of ironing boards & covers- I bought the neatest small ironing board to go next to my machine at my quilting store the other day. Someone was brilliant enought to cover a folding table (like you buy in sets of 4) w/ padding & reg. ironing board cover, stapled in on. I paid $22.00 for it but talk about handy! Those folding tables are usually sold in sets of 4 for about $30.00. Neat idea tho' cause it folds flat when I don't need it.

I made one of those little ironing boards at a retreat. I love it for quick pressing work! Sits right beside me when I sew.

jljack 10-22-2010 01:39 PM

Trash.

mar32428 10-22-2010 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by np3
I wash them, put it back on and cover it with a new one. Makes my ironing board more padded.

Me too. After time, the cover gets flatter so putting the new one over it, gives me a little more padding.

RugosaB 10-22-2010 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider

Originally Posted by fireworkslover

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Oh JanRN, we can only wonder what else you have kept for 40 years! LOL!

I can outdo her, my ironing board is 66 yrs. old. I got it from my Mom and she got it for a wedding shower gift. My parents celebrated their 66 wedding anniversary last June. I have made a larger board that fits over the top of it for a larger pressing surface for quilting.

Well, if we're comparing the age of the ironing board, not the cover, I want to play. The one in my studio is one of those antique all wooden ones. :lol:

Good, thought I was the only one. I got it at an antique auction and used it upstairs with one of those table top boards on top of it. I just can't get rid of it. It has a 16" board as its top, do you know how hard it is to find a 16" board? I'm thinking of hanging it, folded up, on a wall as decoration (I have many antiques as decorations)

I saw in this thread, something that's verifying my suspicions. My husband made me a board, about 3 ft wide and 4-5 ft long, that I padded with some old cushy type washable wooly type fabric, and then covered with that aluminun colored ironing board fabric that I got at Joann's. 2 months ago. Growing up, I'm 52, we just used ironing board covers made with this kind of stuff, no fabric cover over it, but this one seems to be of a lesser quality, it's already getting wear holes in it. Just today we went out and bought staples for the staple gun to attach a muslin cover over the cover. I'm thinking that stuff I got at Joann's is not nearly as durable as what I used when I was a kid. Am I right?

Betty J 10-22-2010 02:07 PM

I make my own ironing board covers and yes, I do wash them regularly.

I make a fitted, quilted cover customed sized to the ironing board. I even have one in a draw string bag I pack when travelling. Motel / hotel ironing bards are notorious for no padding and ill fitting covers.