Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing board fiasco (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-board-fiasco-t61463.html)

BellaBoo 08-26-2010 10:56 AM

Just hammer the staple ends down. Works fine. I would suggest to not use heavy padding on your board at all but since you board is thin you'll need some protection. Sheeting will scorch faster then canvas but it's easy to recover so don't fret about it. 1/4" board isn't the best size so keep an eye out for 3/4" size plywood.

SueDor 08-26-2010 11:50 AM

What a bummer!

grann of 6 08-26-2010 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
You're still going to have to use another kind of padding(insulbrite) because I'd think that the way it's set up now it would scorch! I'm not for sure, but just thinking about this. Maybe that would give you some extra thickness and the staples wouldn't poke thru or get smaller size staples. Let us know what you end up doing.

Yeah, watch old mattress pads, some of them have polyester for the filling; not good for ironing on. Best thing is to find some old wool blankets or even some wool fabric and layered. Then put heavy muslin over the top or something like that. Just make sure you are using all cotton fabric. 1/4" staples are easy to find, and will go through all your layers & plywood.

CorgiNole 08-26-2010 12:38 PM

I made mine with 3/8 inch plywood - wasn't thinking about the warp factor, more the lift factor. But I also built a frame on the bottom of it to keep it in place on the ironing board (you can see pictures on my blog - linked below). I put down a wool blanket and then the silver cloth. I've thrown a piece of muslin over it that can be easily washed as I've been using lots of starch.

Alternately, you could use a layer of warm & natural batting covered with Duck Cloth (as was recommended to me by Harriet Hargrave)

Cheers, K

lynnie 08-26-2010 12:39 PM

thumb tacks

Minda 08-26-2010 03:19 PM

My husband made me an ironing top 22x50 out of plywood. It fits over my standard ironing board. I made an ironing board cover out of very heavy muslin (purchased at WalMart - they have different weights). I made it like a standard ironing board cover, and ran cord through a sewn channel around the edge, so I can remove the cover easily when it wears out. It works great and was very easy to make.

brighmet 08-26-2010 04:35 PM

I can buy different length staples for my staple gun. I don't know what length staples you have but you might want to look into shorter staples

G'ma Kay 08-26-2010 05:12 PM

Thanks everyone! My DH brought home 1/4" staples. I'm going to foil it and probably use the batting instead of the mattress pad. i wanted it to use on my cutting table just to keep from having to move my chair all the time. I'm getting lazy. Thanks again!

EasyPeezy 08-26-2010 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Linda B
I made my table top ironing board out of a panel I got a Lowes. Big probem -- the panel is composed of a bunch of strips glued together and whenever I iron a bunch of fabric, the heat causes the board to warp into a curve or an arch!! I can still iron on it, but I have to iron with the curve. Anyone have this kind of problem with plywood?

Do you use a lot of steam? I don't use any but I do use starch so it does get
a little damp and it hasn't warped yet. I used sub-floor panel which I think is
what you used too. If you use steam, next time you make a new board drill
some holes so the steam can escape? That's what I plan to do on mine. It
should be a lot lighter that way too.

mjsylvstr 08-27-2010 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
So... my FIL has a scrap piece of plywood, 22 X 48 just perfect for my sewing table pressing board. I'm so excited! I use an old mattress pad for the padding, an old sheet for the cover, my DH's staple gun to put it all together and turn it over and .... Wallah! The staples are too long because it's 1/4 inch plywood. It pokes through the cover on the top. I pulled them all out and will have to think on this one a while.

My husband used spray adhesive. First layer was the heat resistant padding to the plywood and then we covered that with Warm & Natural batting, also using the spray adhesive......and then finally covered that with a draw-string cover of muslin.......works great.