Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing Mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-mat-t132341.html)

Aurora 06-23-2011 12:56 AM

I have one of those small tabletop ironing boards, elevates the ironing surface off the cabinet/tabletop surface. I use the shelf liner foam under the fold down legs to keep it from moving. It has a metal slide out shelf at the back end to hold the hot iron.

I take it to Guild Meetings, UFO's, and Retreats. Several other quilters besides me use it. I find it very handy.

Sheree from Chicago 06-23-2011 02:43 AM

I took one of the sections of my ruined dining room table pads, put several layers of cotton batting on the felt side and made a cover in a fabric to coordinate with the room I sew in. It's a tri'fold so doesn't take up much space when not in use.

Maureen 06-23-2011 02:48 AM

my husband made me one by covering a 15x15 piece of plywood with batting and fabric. It works great and is right next to my machine.

Tinker Tots 06-23-2011 03:04 AM

Ok, help me understand the importance.....I made a irioning mat, just a mini Quilt fabric,batting, batting, fabric serged all 4 layers and I use it everyday. Size like 20X20. I have one at every table. and a Skid drawer liner under it. Am I suppose to use something special to make it?

Elisabeth J 06-23-2011 03:17 AM

I have one I used on my dining room table I now have cloudy spots in the finish on the table. I would not put it on anything wood or a laminate wood. I'm very sorry I did. I finally bought a table top ironing board from wal mart. The legs do't work very well but I don't unfold the legs. I just place the board on a thick towel. It keeps it from shifting when I iron and protects the table top.

janeknapp 06-23-2011 03:37 AM

I sandwiched Insul-Bright between two layers of Warm & Natural with drill fabric from Jo-Ann's as the top and bottom layers. Drill is what I use to cover the big ironing board. I straight stitched around the edge and then zigzagged.

sewmom 06-23-2011 04:10 AM

I bought an ironing mat from Joanns with a coupon. I wish I hadn't. It has a layer of foam on the bottom and the shiny silver stuff, like ironing board covers, on the top. I use it on the end of my cutting table at my vacation home. I really hate it. It 's too puffy so it can be hard to get a crisp flattened seam. It also slides around. The silver part is ok, I don't mind that. I wish that I'd bought batting or something else with my coupon and made a big board instead. Making one is on my list of things to do.

ywoodruff5 06-23-2011 04:12 AM

I have taken mine and stapled to a piece of plywood. I can move it wherever I need to iron - including putting on a TV tray beside me when traveling.

sewmom 06-23-2011 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by ywoodruff5
I have taken mine and stapled to a piece of plywood. I can move it wherever I need to iron - including putting on a TV tray beside me when traveling.

Doesn't the puffiness of the pad concern you? Is it thinner when stapled to plywood? It never occurred to me to try that! Thanks!

janeknapp 06-23-2011 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by janeknapp
I sandwiched Insul-Bright between two layers of Warm & Natural with drill fabric from Jo-Ann's as the top and bottom layers. Drill is what I use to cover the big ironing board. I straight stitched around the edge and then zigzagged.

This pad is not too puffy...works great.