Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-seams-t190638.html)

marys 06-04-2012 07:37 AM

I very seldom press my seams - just depends on how many seams are coming together in one place. I do set my seams from the wrong side, as they are sewn, but I press from the "right" side and you will not get those little pleats. I always go back and check the back seam to make sure it is all like it should be. No problems at all and this is how I teach my students in my quilting classes to press. Set seams first and press from the front.

Olivia's Grammy 06-04-2012 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by marys (Post 5264563)
I very seldom press my seams - just depends on how many seams are coming together in one place. I do set my seams from the wrong side, as they are sewn, but I press from the "right" side and you will not get those little pleats. I always go back and check the back seam to make sure it is all like it should be. No problems at all and this is how I teach my students in my quilting classes to press. Set seams first and press from the front.

I do my seams this way also. I don't have to worry about the color of my thread if I don't press my seams open.

Kitsie 06-04-2012 09:05 AM

And boy, does it ever help with the small piecing for my Dear Jane blocks! Wish I'd done it from the beginning!

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5260677)
I iron my seams open because it eliminates the fold over pleat and since I have started to press the seams open and use very thin piecing and bobbin thread, my sewn pieces are the correct size and my blocks piece together so much better. I know the reasons given for pressing to one side but it's only necessary in some cases.

sewmary 06-04-2012 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tulip (Post 5262945)
A long time quilting friend suggested I use a chop stick when pressing seams open. Next time we went out for chinese food, I asked for chopsticks and have used those since. Works great and no cost (other than the dinner, lol)

Everyone I know brings me chopsticks! They make good stilettos and are good for poking out the corners of turned items.

I also "iron" my seams open with a "wooden iron" - half of a sprung type clothespin - works great!

Still have to assemble the ironing doodad that jaciqltznok showed u how to make!

Latrinka 06-04-2012 12:00 PM

I usually iron to one side, want me one of them cool fingers tho!

carolynjo 06-04-2012 12:04 PM

Good idea, silver needle!

maryellen2u 06-04-2012 12:48 PM

I always learn so much on the board. Thanks for all your wisdom, ideas and know-how!

dlf0122quilting 06-05-2012 06:12 PM

I learned that when pressing seams open, to use a sewers ham (the long round one) and it works great. I flatten out the end by finger pressing about a half inch open, lay it on the ham and start pressing.