Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ironing surface (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-surface-t69058.html)

MommaDorian 10-08-2010 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Good luck with the hubby. I just go to Home Depot and get the hunks there to cut it for me. LOL That way I get it without complaints!

Besides, then you can watch them work. ;)

bjnicholson 10-08-2010 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian

Good luck with the hubby. I just go to Home Depot and get the hunks there to cut it for me. LOL That way I get it without complaints!

Besides, then you can watch them work. ;)

You girls are somethin' else!

lfstamper 10-08-2010 03:46 PM

I made a top from concrete board like you use on concrete for wood floors. cover this with batting then, the moisture will not bother it.

katiebear1 10-08-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by katiebear1

Originally Posted by Aunt Doggie
Ditto on the foil covering over the wood! :-)

Hey that is a good idea! Now if I can get Hubby to cut the piece of wood for me. I will just have to keep bugging him this weekend LOL

Great idea, but we have a piece of MDF in the garage. We had to replace a small section of one of the bathrooms sub floor, so I figure I could use that.

EasyPeezy 10-08-2010 03:55 PM

Yes, steam does go through. So, if I were to redo mine I would drill a few
holes.

dirty1mom 10-08-2010 04:01 PM

I would agree with EasyPeezy about the holes. Although since it is wood I am thinking I can add them later. I pick my iron up a tad off the surface periodically so the steam doesn't build up under the iron.

katiebear1 10-08-2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
Yes, steam does go through. So, if I were to redo mine I would drill a few
holes.

Another great idea! I will do that.

costumegirl 10-09-2010 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
Great idea, but we have a piece of MDF in the garage. We had to replace a small section of one of the bathrooms sub floor, so I figure I could use that.

I don't think MDF will stand up very well. It will asorb the steam and possibly weaken and I don't think it is strong enough to begin with for ironing.

UglyCook 10-09-2010 08:30 AM

I was told to use an old wool blanket as wool does not rot as easily as cotton when damp. I found one at a thrift store for $4.00 and cut it to fit then covered that with the reflective ironing fabric.

bearisgray 10-09-2010 08:34 AM

The company that made the Big Board only included one layer of a poly-type craft type batting (maybe 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick) and a skimpy cotton canvas/twill covering that I had to purchase in addition to the board. The board is made of high-grade plywood.

I've had it for about 6 years and I don't see any damage. I usually use steam when I press.