Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Irons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/irons-t269755.html)

Rhodim 09-08-2015 07:51 AM

Irons

My Rowena Iron$$$ is now burning my hand when I iron.

What is your favorite Iron and why?

I appreciate your thoughts!

Mariposa 09-08-2015 07:53 AM

I use a B & D Classic. It's sturdy, and lasts a good long while. :)

tessagin 09-08-2015 07:54 AM

If you still have the box and paperwork see about returning it. I assume the hand you're using to hold/guide. No matter how hot, shouldn't burn your hand.

mckwilter 09-08-2015 09:05 AM

My favorite iron is a Continental Dry Iron. I purchased mine from Amazon ($40), but I have read that it can be purchased at Home Depot for a little less. I use it for all my quilting, but purchased it originally for fusible. Since there are no steam holes, there are no unfused dots. It doesn't have an auto-off option, gets hot fast and stays hot. I don't use steam, just a spray bottle of water or 1/2 & 1/2 water and Best Pressed.

dunster 09-08-2015 09:05 AM

I like my Reliable Digital Velocity V100. It produces great steam, although I usually use it dry. I had a Rowenta that failed within the warranty period, and dealing with their western region service center was probably the worst service experience I've ever had. When the same iron failed again just after it was out of warranty I decided never to buy Rowenta again, even though I loved that iron (when it was working).

Rhodim 09-08-2015 09:05 AM

Anyone try the iron with the little feet that go up and down?

Jeanne S 09-08-2015 09:07 AM

I love my Rowenta Pro Master. How old is yours?

Rhodim 09-08-2015 12:37 PM

Iron

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7311104)
I love my Rowenta Pro Master. How old is yours?

I say about 3 years old!

ManiacQuilter2 09-08-2015 12:45 PM

Knock on wood, my Rowenta iron (and I have had a few) have never burned me.

Macybaby 09-08-2015 01:02 PM

I've had the Oliso for a few months now - so not long enough for much of a review.

So far - what I have come to love
1. I don't worry about bumping into it (the hot plate) while it's sitting on it's end on the iron board
2. I don't worry about knocking the ironing board and having it tip over and fall on the floor (I've lost most of my irons that way, after a fall or two - something stopped working correctly).

3. I love that I can just slide it off the fabric and let go - though it does get hot enough under it so you don't want to set it over something that can't take the heat (like your cutting mat . . .)
4. I have the one that stays on for 30 minutes, which is nice.
5. I really like the stepped shoulder of the plate, I've found that notch works very well for pressing seams open.

I do not use steam, so I can say how well that feature works. You can also turn off the auto lift feature if you are doing something that you need the iron to sit on for a bit. And I have not had it long enough to comment on long term durability.