Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   irons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/irons-t66160.html)

dar627742 09-22-2010 06:55 AM

am in need of fast advice !am TRYING to iron the fabric for dgs birthday on sat.i have 2 irons that are a pain in the a--!one is brand new,but they both spit brownall overmy fab.i am considering an orick cordless,or a eliso[sp] does anyone have either of these & do you love/hate them?also don't want one that shuts off eery time you turn around ![fussy,huh?]but if i'm going to spend $100.00[?] i'd like to know what i'm getting.
thanx in advance,dar

donnajean 09-22-2010 07:06 AM

If you used "distilled" water as recommended, you would not get the brown spitting. I have had my Rowenta for about 15 yrs. now & it still works fine with no spitting. I also empty out the water if I am not going to be using the iron for a while.

I was just out shopping with a friend yesterday & learned that you cannot use coupons to purchase irons at JoAnn's.

I believe you can use the 20% coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond. They have a good selection of irons in all price ranges.

Jeanniejo 09-22-2010 07:10 AM

My favorite iron is the one I got at MW for about $10.00. It's light and it doesn't have an automatic shut off !!!! I have 3 more that were $50 and over $100.00 but they are bigger, heavier and shut off when I need them !!

wolfkitty 09-22-2010 07:10 AM

Try cleaning it according to manual directions, and then use the correct water, as directed. Mine says to use tap water, but if there is a lot of iron in your water, it may cause problems, and bottled water may solve your problem. I always empty the water when I am done ironing.

Char 09-22-2010 07:11 AM

I love my Oliso iron, but I never use steam because I've had so much trouble with leaky irons in the past. I spritz my fabric with water or even better with starch!

BellaBoo 09-22-2010 07:35 AM

The best iron on the market right is the Reliable brand.

merridancer 09-22-2010 07:39 AM

Several years ago I bought the big steamer from Reliable. It was about $250. It's one of those things that if I was abandoned on an island and I only got to take 3 things, it would be one of them.

katsewnsew 09-22-2010 07:46 AM

I got tired of spending lots of money on irons so I go to the Goodwill, have them plug it in and try it out. My Rowenta spits, and another brand I bought spit and leaked, too. Now I just spritz my fabric with water in a sprayer and dry iron with my $2.00 bargains from Goodwill. More money to spend on fabric. I got a great Shark at Goodwill for $2.00 - works wonders and it was brand new! I am still on my first iron I purchased from Goodwill. It has been 2 years. No bells or whistles on it, but it sure does the trick! Not that I cannot afford a good one, I just kept getting disappointed with them.

dphelps 09-22-2010 07:59 AM

We found a Shark Professional at WalMart for $49. and love it. The Rowenta also leaked and did not heat enough.We always use distilled water.

Holice 09-22-2010 08:08 AM

Oliso spits like a "newborn dumping water". Not my quote but another user. I have had 6 and they all eventually dumped water. I don't know about the most recent ones. Sometimes cheaper and older irons are better.