Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   An issue with irons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/issue-irons-t225144.html)

mjhaess 07-06-2013 07:15 AM

I have two cheap irons that are dry. I have a rowenta that just died after 19 years and a lot of use....I plan on buying another as soon as I get to Costco.. That is where I bought the one I have and it was a lot cheaper at Costco. I plan to buy another. I love the auto shut-off feature because I have been known to forget to shut off the iron.

BellaBoo 07-06-2013 07:17 AM

You can buy the dry iron here: http://www.always-free-shipping.com/...-dry-iron.html Free shipping of course! Keep a check on Amazon sometimes a store seller will have them for under $15.

IBQUILTIN 07-06-2013 08:44 AM

Consumer Reports listed Black and Decker as an excellent choice. It has the weight, a longer on time, steams well and is much less expensive than the shark or rowenta

caspharm 07-06-2013 09:53 AM

I have both a standard size German Rowenta and a travel size Rowenta (China). Both are great. I just don't put water in them and use a spritz bottle of water. Sometimes I will use a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of Best Press and water.

They both work great. I am actually on my second travel size Rowenta. I wore out the first one.

GABBYABBY 07-06-2013 11:19 AM

I am not sure on which iron you should buy, but, if you want more outlets than one, you can buy one of those surge protectors that has lots of extra electrical outlets on it. You only need one outlet for that to plug into.

MarleneC 07-06-2013 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 6160879)
I did spend a lot of money on my two irons but they are worth every penny. I have the Reliable (orange colored Velocity) that I use for quilting. I paid $60.00 for it from All Brands. It was an "open box" purchase. I absolutly love it and it can be programed to stay on. It absolutely does not drip and you can turn the steam on and off as you press. My other Reliable is the more expensive one @ $150.00. Some people may laugh at this but I have spent that much replacing Rowentas every year so I indulged. I do hope to have this iron for a life time. It is the blue colored one and I use it for my clothes. It has a good weight and absolutely does not drip. I love this brand of iron.

I will never buy another Rowenta as long as I live. So many failed and one caught fire.
peace

I totally agree--after two leaking Rowenta irons (one of which stopped getting hot) I will never purchase another one of them I have the Reliable 100 Velocity that I really like but use my cheap Hamilton Beach for a majority of my pressing.

Rose_P 07-06-2013 01:49 PM

I have to have the auto shut off because I would forget my head if it wasn't attached. Within the last year I came up to the sewing room one morning and found the iron flashing where it had been since the previous day. Maybe it wouldn't burn the house down, but it most certainly would use a lot of power in 15 hours if it didn't go to sleep. It saves me from finding myself halfway to the grocery store or in another state worrying about my iron.

Also, the new iron gets fully hot in under a minute. If it was on continuously that's a lot of wasted energy, probably more than having every light in the house turned on, now that we use CF bulbs. Anything that produces heat is an energy hog.

I haven't had my newest iron long enough to know how reliable it will be, so I'm no help with picking it, but it's a Singer - not the cheapest iron out there, but pretty low end. I have very little faith that the fancier ones are much better than what I got. I have read through other threads on this board about irons, and nothing seems to stand out as a favorite. Basically, the concept reached the peak of perfection at least 30 years ago, and nothing can be done to improve them except to provide a helper to do the ironing for us.

I honestly believe that the biggest effort in designing modern appliances is twofold: eye candy and planned obsolescence. The folks making these things really don't want us to be so happy that we will hang onto them for the rest of our lives because that's just not good for business. My Kenmore iron, bought in 1986, and the one before that, bought in 1966, were each ugly, clunky brown and black things that lasted 20 years before they started to sputter. The older one actually didn't fail until after it was dropped on concrete! Keep in mind that I used to do a lot of ironing in those days, too! I wouldn't be willing to bet on that kind of life for any new iron, no matter how expensive.

Momo 07-06-2013 04:56 PM

I am ill about irons. On 2 separate occasions I bought one that was in the $50.00 range and both went out within 3 months of purchase. The company sent me a new one, and it croaked in about the same amount of time. The next one I got from one of the fabric stores. It stopped steaming 2 months after getting it. The store gave me a new one. It went on the fritz same as the first one, so last Christmas I saw an ad for an $8.00 iron at Home Depot...DD gave it to me for Christmas. Here it is July and it still works. It isn't fancy and doesn't cut off by itself, it has habits that I don't like, but it has lasted 6 whole months! I am impressed this time with CHEAP!

brendadawg 07-06-2013 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sally J (Post 6159917)
I have a small iron (I do use it for classes and it's great), however, having a heavy steam iron works so much better pressing seams and blocks. I bought a reproduction of the original GE iron. LOVE IT...it does have auto shutoff because its new and its a requirement for new regular irons. The weight is great as it really sets the seams and my blocks look better. One thing, I wouldn't spend more than $25 for an iron. All the cheaper irons like Black and Decker have worked great for me. Good Luck

Where did you find your reproduction of the original GE? I've been looking for one of those.

Jo Anne B. 07-06-2013 07:10 PM

Just last week had to purchase a new iron, a happy day the Rowenta finally died. I found at Walmart a Shark Ultimate Professional steam iron. So far I have been very pleased with it. But then maybe it seems extra nice as the Rowenta was just that bad..I did purchase the Shark based on some of the feedback here on QB.