Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   It's not right!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/its-not-right-t138366.html)

dublb 07-17-2011 01:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure where to put this in pictures or main sense I have a question.

I ordered this Cinderella panel to make my DGD a fleece blanket. My plan was to make a purple back with pink borders & applique some flowers & her name on it. My DD said to cut & tie a fringe & not to birth it. Well it's bigger than my cutting table. As I was trimming the edges I noticed that it seemed a 'little' off so I just trimmed it 4" on the sides & 3.5 on the ends. Then I laid it out on the floor & boy was I shocked.
Question; how do I put the back on & it look right??

1 side is much longer then the other. ( It's wrong side up.)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227899[/ATTACH]

Here it is with the purple that I plan to use for the back & the pink I want to use for the borders & her name. See how the panel under it is way off!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227900[/ATTACH]

The flowers I wanted to put on the back.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227901[/ATTACH]

marymm 07-17-2011 01:53 PM

Would it be possible to trim the borders off and straighten that way? I know if would be smaller, but maybe you could make it square.

hopetoquilt 07-17-2011 01:55 PM

One suggestion is to cut the picture portion and make it squared (or rectangled) and then sew a new border around it.

The other suggestion is to wet the quilt and block it to make it more squared... and then see what you have to work with.

That panel is really crooked...

Doreen 07-17-2011 01:55 PM

Can you maybe "block it? Wetting it down and pin it so it can dry. You will need to pull so that it gets straight.

bearisgray 07-17-2011 01:59 PM

Have you washed and dried the pieces to see how they will
"revert" when left to their own devices?

If not, I would, then I would trim things up to match.

What I've done with a couple of fleece quilts/blankets is to cut the backing larger so that it can be wrapped to the front for a border and binding - no fringes.

GingerK 07-17-2011 02:00 PM

That's the problem I had with a panel earlier this week. With the advice from all the wonderful people here, I trimmed the border so that it was a consistent width all the way around the panel picture. I then zigzagged around the panel. I taped one long side to the floor and forced the other sides straight, taping them as I went. I then lightly sprayed it with water. I was shocked by how much the fabric relaxed. I left it there overnight and it did not return to its wonky shape. I am planning on putting another small border around it just to make sure it keeps its shape, and then machine quilting it.

dublb 07-17-2011 02:07 PM

Will the fleece block?

irishrose 07-17-2011 02:25 PM

No, the fleece won't block, but it might relax if run through the washer and dryer. Fabrics are quite often slightly damp when wound on a bolt and get skewed that way. I'd wash and machine dry both the front and the back, but not the flowers.

GrannieAnnie 07-17-2011 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by dublb
I'm not sure where to put this in pictures or main sense I have a question.

I ordered this Cinderella panel to make my DGD a fleece blanket. My plan was to make a purple back with pink borders & applique some flowers & her name on it. My DD said to cut & tie a fringe & not to birth it. Well it's bigger than my cutting table. As I was trimming the edges I noticed that it seemed a 'little' off so I just trimmed it 4" on the sides & 3.5 on the ends. Then I laid it out on the floor & boy was I shocked.
Question; how do I put the back on & it look right??

Any way to wet the panel and stretch it to let it dry, Hopefully more in line than it is now?

amma 07-17-2011 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Doreen
Can you maybe "block it? Wetting it down and pin it so it can dry. You will need to pull so that it gets straight.

I would try wetting and blocking first too. Ideally all of the sides will straighten out :D:D:D