Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   It's official......I'm allergic to fabric.............NOOOOOOOOO (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/its-official-im-allergic-fabric-nooooooooo-t57042.html)

natalieg 07-31-2010 06:08 PM

Just curious, what were your alergy symtoms?[/quote]

I have a rash on both hands that has been hanging around for a few months now. Sometimes it goes pretty dormant, but is still there, just not so visible. All of my fingertips have very dry skin on them and crack if I am not on top of it all the time. I can usually keep the cracking down to a minimum, but the dryness looks like tiny little razor cuts and the skin flakes off. It's disgusting to me cause my fingers feel like sandpaper. I always thought that was from back when I was a kid and used to do woodworking with my dad. After we stained the wood, we always would wash our hands with gas (didn't know any better and it worked)! The doctor says that is when it started with the sensitivity. It's taken just over 30 years to figure this out! I have already told my dad and sis as they suffer from it the same as me.
The way I found out was they were trying to treat the rash on my hands and another rash and creams weren't working. So they decided to do a patch test.
I know that unfortunately that particular formaldehyde is in many things, never had any other problems than just the hands. But, will do what I can to keep it to a dull roar. I have been washing and pressing and folding fabric all day! Completed just over 40 yards today between a bit of yardage and fatquarters!
Thanks for the suggestions!

Ladymurphy 07-31-2010 06:12 PM

I have had this problem for years. I wash it all. Just clip the corners.

lab fairy 07-31-2010 06:54 PM

I don't know why everyone keeps saying to clip the corners. I've tried it and not seen any appreciable difference. Maybe I'm not clipping enough? I just usually wash on delicate. On really thin/shreddy type fabric I will run a quick straight stitch down the raw edge. I do have a serger but never have had the need to use it on yardage unless it was handwoven.

I also get a rash. Another disguised form of formaldehyde is formalin (that is the latest/greatest stuff used to preserve biological specimens these days. I react to it too). You will probably find you react more to ant bites as well. The venom from an ant is formic acid (the basic component in formaldehyde). Benedryl and an epipen are great friends (we have a lot of fire ants).

mar32428 08-01-2010 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by natalieg
The doctor confirmed it this morning!!!! I went in for allergy patch testing on Wednesday. They even made a few patches out of some of my fabrics! They did the preliminary testing today and will do the rest on Tuesday. They said normally they don't see many, if any, positives on the preliminary because it is so soon and this is a delayed test. She took off most of my patches and I had blisters on the one spot where the chemical was for the fabric treatment!
I didn't know that they use formaldehyde to treat fabrics....yuck! But, lo and behold, I am allergic to it! They said that normally people that have this allergy can wash their fabrics at least twice and then the allergy is not as active. So, in the midst of wanting to reorganize my fabric, I guess now I get to take it all down, zig-zag the edges and wash them twice!!!
For those of you that pre-wash your fabrics, do you take them out of the dryer when they are barely damp and iron them, or let them dry completely, then iron them? I have tried both ways awhile back and they came out pretty wrinkled for me. Even stayed wrinkled after I pressed them. Maybe I washed too many, but I don't want to do a few pieces at a time, unless I mix them with regular clothes (hate having a half empty washer).
I have heard that serging them is easier and better, but don't have a serger.
Any suggestions???????????

I'm allergic to it too. There was a shop in town years ago that I couldn't shop because I would start sneezing like crazy. Thot I was the only one.

mar32428 08-01-2010 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I don't know why everyone keeps saying to clip the corners. I've tried it and not seen any appreciable difference. Maybe I'm not clipping enough? I just usually wash on delicate. On really thin/shreddy type fabric I will run a quick straight stitch down the raw edge. I do have a serger but never have had the need to use it on yardage unless it was handwoven.

I also get a rash. Another disguised form of formaldehyde is formalin (that is the latest/greatest stuff used to preserve biological specimens these days. I react to it too). You will probably find you react more to ant bites as well. The venom from an ant is formic acid (the basic component in formaldehyde). Benedryl and an epipen are great friends (we have a lot of fire ants).

Thanks for the info. Now I know why I react so badly to ant bites. I keep Benedryl handy too.

Edie 08-01-2010 03:28 AM

My mother told me when I first started quilting that cotton pulls the oils out of your skin and she keeps a little bottle of hand lotion on her table (as I now do). When she comes back to her sewing table or when she has been working on a quilt for a period of time, she stops, puts on a little hand lotion and rubs it in, stretches her back, legs and arms, and goes back to her quilt! So I have a bottle of hand lotion (you know the kind - the free bottles you get at a motel. I have even asked some of the maids if I could have a few extra bottles of hand lotion. I explained why - "I didn't know that and I quilt". So she throws me in a few extra bottles - I love Bath and Body lotions). Mine get particularly dry in the Minnesota winters, so for what it is worth.........

I use my solar dryer all the time - not only for fabric!!!! Clothes work on that too!!!!!!

Another thought - our son had allergies (a whole mess of them) and he had shots for them. Will you be having shots for this allergy and then will that not help you or is the super washing an alternative. Gary didn't have an alternative. Just wondering. Edie

ksea 08-01-2010 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by pieces
I'm allergic to the formaldhyde as well. As well as any chemicals used in the dying process.
I can only go fabric shopping(LQS) a couple times a year, and have to limit my time in the store. I wash all my fabric as soon as I get home in chemical free laundry soap. And use vinegar in my rinse water. Storing fabric in plastic containers is also bad. The formaldhyde gasses collect in the plastic container and contaminate the fabric. I store my fabric in wire baskets so the fabric can breath.

Oh my gosh I had never thought about this but it make awesome sense, mine is even in black garbage bags inside the plastic totes. Also one of my DGD was really sensitive and would break out from fabric/clothes and I started washing everything of hers in Dreft and all her sensitvity went away. I know it is kind of expensive but I keep a bottle of it just for fabric and towels and I find it is the only thing that takes the smell of perfume and scented soaps out of the towels.

Miss Priss 08-01-2010 03:42 AM

If you do wash before sewing the edges, save the threads and when you have enough, make something with them. Arrange a pattern and put netting over them and quilt them down. Add buttons, lace or what ever. Cotton has always been known to wrinkle no matter how you wash or dry. I don't iron till needed and then I use magic sizing, roll them up and put in a baggie for a day for the moisture to spread. Good Luck!

damaquilts 08-01-2010 03:47 AM

I always wondered what it was that makes me sneeze like crazy and get a roaring headache any time I go in a fabric store. Now I know. I knew it was the fabrics but didn't know what was on it. Yuck! one thing I use to cut the edges that no one has mentioned is the zig zag blade on the rotary cutter. Saves my hands big time. But most times I forget to do anything and just throw it in the washer on gentle and shake it out, pull off big lumps of thread and toss it in the dryer. I wish we had a solar dryer here sometimes I would love it. I also don't iron until I am ready to use it even though I just made a big ironing board top. I don't use big lengths of fabric lately just small pieces so its easier.

Jeannette in NJ 08-01-2010 04:06 AM

To attack the wrinkles without using starch I use a little white vinegar in filtered water, put it in a spray bottle. The vinegar evaporates and the smell goes away. Do not like to store fabric with starch in it but do like to get some wrinkles out.