Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I've been hit (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ive-been-hit-t131820.html)

Lori S 06-21-2011 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kappy

Originally Posted by nativetexan
get some Synthrapol and wash with it. it removes any excess colors and they go away in the rinse.
good luck.

Synthrapol...is that a brand name? What stores do you find it in?

Most LQS carry it ! Or you can buy it on line.

deltaquilter 06-21-2011 09:05 AM

Do wash it again with color catcher sheets. It may clean up. This has worked for me. Good luck.

cavmom 06-21-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by C.quilts

Originally Posted by Lori S
If you have not put it in the dryer go immediately and get some Sythropol and wash it again. There is Hope!

Even if yo have dried it the Synthropol may still work. I made a quilt out of neck ties. Washed them all first but one still bled. I washed the quilt in Synthropol 3 times. you can barely notice the run. You really have to look for it.

thanks for the info.. i had washed my strip quilt with color catchers and didnt even think to look at it and popped it into the dryer... red and purple ran on me into the lighter colors. I will give this Sythropol a try. At least the quilt is colorful to begin with, so you cant tell right off that the colors bled, so if it doesnt work its not a total loss.

JoanneS 06-21-2011 10:35 AM

According to the directions, Synthrapol is for HAND dyed fabric. Retayne is for commercially dyed fabric.

19angel52 06-21-2011 11:12 AM

oh noooo.....

I've played the no-wash game for quite awhile. Just takes ONE incident and you move to the always-wash game....just stinks that that one time ruins a quilt.

Still know some people who refuse to wash prior to cutting....sigh.

valsma 06-21-2011 11:15 AM

Ouch, im so sorry . I always prewash, 1. because that is the way I was taught and 2. im afraid what just happend to you will happen to me. I hope someone will be able to give you an idea on how to salvage this quilt.

jeannie t 06-21-2011 12:31 PM

So sorry, I have had that happen to.

mar32428 06-21-2011 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by flowerjoy
Oh, that is sad. If you wash it again will the part that bled fade or will the backing continue to bleed more blue? I ask because I am also finishing a quilt that the fabric manufacture says NOT to prewash. It is a concern for many of us. Thanks for sharing your story.

I was wondering if you washed it again with a dye catcher if that might help.

Janice Thompson 06-21-2011 03:43 PM

Try soaking in Oxyclean overnight.

MargeD 06-21-2011 03:46 PM

I AM SO SORRY. You have my condolences. I usually prewash, but occasionally one gets away from me. I once washed a cross-stitch I had done and the red embroidery floss. That had never happened to me before, and I have made a lot of Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls, so I would hate for that to happen again. Someone did suggest that I pre-wash the embroidery floss - a bit of a stretch, but I would hate to have the doll's face run. It could have been old floss too. The suggestions made sound good - so good luck.