Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I've got it. Now, what do I do with it???? Help!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ive-got-now-what-do-i-do-help-t199435.html)

#1piecemaker 09-03-2012 04:22 AM

I've got it. Now, what do I do with it???? Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, that I've got it, I'm at a total loss. What do I do with it??? My new longarm was delivered Friday and set up. My rep showed me the basics but I am totally without a clue here. I think I am learning the panthograph fairly well. But, I am more worried about free motion quilting. How do I learn to make feathers? Do I draw them out and do it that way or just practice until I get it down? How do you go about choosing a design and then implementing it?

Aquarius 09-03-2012 04:29 AM

I'm in the same boat. I got my Gracie queen and my bailey 13 a couple of months ago. My daughter has helped me set it up and her husband put in new plugs and got every ready to go. I still have to make my leader cloth then I'm ready to start using it. I am so nervous. Like you, I don't know how to make feathers and just where to start. I think that is why I haven't finished making my leaders. Because I am afraid that I will not be good at it. everyone says it just takes practice, practice practice. I think I am going to start out with just stippling at first. I did hand stippling on a huge queen quilt I just finished but doing it on the machine is to me a bit scary. I`m hoping I will do ok. Good luck.

#1piecemaker 09-03-2012 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Aquarius (Post 5487414)
I'm in the same boat. I got my Gracie queen and my bailey 13 a couple of months ago. My daughter has helped me set it up and her husband put in new plugs and got every ready to go. I still have to make my leader cloth then I'm ready to start using it. I am so nervous. Like you, I don't know how to make feathers and just where to start. I think that is why I haven't finished making my leaders. Because I am afraid that I will not be good at it. everyone says it just takes practice, practice practice. I think I am going to start out with just stippling at first. I did hand stippling on a huge queen quilt I just finished but doing it on the machine is to me a bit scary. I`m hoping I will do ok. Good luck.

I've been wathcing some videos on you tube and other tutorials. That is helping. I'm getting dizzy watching these though. I have also been doodling on paper to try and get the hang of how some of them go. I'm going to have to buy more paper looks like. Get that leader cloth on and put in some practice cloth. Just remember that you aren't alone in this boat. Maybe we will both get some good information from these gals/ guys on the board. I'm also going back and reading some previous threads where others have had questions. Hang in there!! We will make it.

lynndianne 09-03-2012 05:04 AM

Thought I was the only one. My longarm (haven't even named it yet) has sit there for a year...just looking at me.

Lynn

quiltingweb 09-03-2012 05:05 AM

Sew. Just sew. It's a sewing machine. The more you practice, the better, more confident you will feel. I'm still improving with every quilt I work on. I see the beautiful things that other quilters do and I'm inspired...sometimes I think that I could never do that, but, maybe I'm not supposed to do that. I'm a squiggly, swirly, leafy, feathery kinda girl. Yes, Hang in there and just relax. You'll get more comfortable with it the more you use it.

Tartan 09-03-2012 05:19 AM

I don't have a LA but if I did, I think I would practice on some Jelly Roll tops. I would load the top so that the stitching lines were horizontal and use those like lined paper. I would choose patterns I wanted to try and quilt them between 3 or 4 rows of the top. After I got confident with those, I would load a pre-printed top and try quilting around the pattern. Some people like to put in a large floral fabric and outline the flowers with quilting.

JenelTX 09-03-2012 05:19 AM

I'm taking an online class right now from Craftsy - machine quilting in negative space. It has been really helpful in getting me to brainstorm ideas. Have fun!!!

Holice 09-03-2012 05:47 AM

there are several books - especially written by Sally Terry showing how to do the different motifs in free motions quilting. Check them out.

kristen0112 09-03-2012 05:53 AM

Congratulations! I still can't do feathers (of course I haven't tried very often). When I first got my longarm and frame I put white fabric and batting on and just started playing. I did hearts, and flowers all kinds of free motion stuff. Go down to the fabric store buy some cheap muslin and play.

Christine27 09-03-2012 06:06 AM

I've had mine a year and after lots of drawing, my feathers are almost presentable. Keep drawing, practice on cheap fabric, and watch videos. I watched the Pajama Quilter DVDs and a Km Brunner DVD called Machine Quilting For Beginners or something like that.