Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I've lost a block. How can this happen? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ive-lost-block-how-can-happen-t307131.html)

Battle Axe 09-27-2019 02:28 AM

I've lost a block. How can this happen?

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone ever lost an entire block? Doesn't it have to be somewhere?

I'm making a Smith Mountain Morning as practice for my Bonnie Hunter upcoming class. It consists of 28 star blocks and 28 chimney blocks. I get down to the point of the last chimney blocks and it is no where to be found.[ATTACH=CONFIG]617865[/ATTACH]This pic shows 4 blocks missing, but three were laying on the sewing machine. I've looked everywhere...no block. Fortunately I have gobbs of fabric left. And you know I will have to make another one before I find that one.

Yes, I am taking the class in about a month, but this is my M.O. If I am to take a class I make a couple ahead of the class so I know what I'm doing. This is my second Smith Mountain Morning. I put the blue and brown one in a sale and it sold.

If you have lost a block like me, and you found it, where did you find it?

mic-pa 09-27-2019 02:35 AM

yes that has happened to me but can't remember where I found it LOL And I want to say how gorgeous your quilt it the colors are perfect

Nesie 09-27-2019 02:49 AM

This may sound silly but I could see myself sewing 2 blocks as one and realizing it later- they stick together. Beautiful quilt.

AprilM 09-27-2019 03:23 AM

Your quilt is beautiful... it’s hard to imagine that you actually need a class - you’ve already nailed it, girl!

As for the missing block. Been there done that! Places they “hide”... folded up with backing or batting, in a pile with another project, and i’ve even had one go home with another quilter who sat near me at an all day workshop! 😊 And yes - you could make a replacement block, but you know you’re gonna find the original block once you do!

Good luck finding that block. Again, it’s a beautiful quilt!

QuiltnNan 09-27-2019 03:36 AM

I 'found' one of mine sitting on the stool below the island bar because I set it there when I needed to clear off the island.

Bobbinalong 09-27-2019 03:36 AM

Just a thought. . . did you miscount when you made them? I've done that before and had to pull out the fabric to make one more.

luvstoquilt 09-27-2019 03:49 AM

Do you have a cat?

Joset 09-27-2019 04:33 AM

you might have two together some where. that is what happen to me once

toverly 09-27-2019 04:46 AM

Yes, I have lost a block. I have a deep sewing table made out of an old library table. I keep my roll of batting beneath the table. I have had not just one block but blocks slide off the back side of the table behind that roll of batting. Love your Smith Mountain morning. That's on my to do list.

zozee 09-27-2019 04:59 AM

Yes, indeed, I've lost anything and everything that could get lost, including blocks. Did you put it in your purse to take to the quilt store to match fabric? Fold it up with leftover yardage by mistake? Stick in a magazine? Ironing table? Under the machine table? stuck to your shirt? In the potato chip bag? (Okay, that one might be far-fetched, but we lost the remote for 3 days, and didn't find it till the next time hubby wanted chips. Voila! Now, no matter what's lost we ask, "Have you checked in the chip bag?" LOL).