Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jack F4 sewing machine problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jack-f4-sewing-machine-problems-t304866.html)

LindaPazzi 05-23-2019 05:53 AM

Jack F4 sewing machine problems

Hello to all you happy quilters

I recently purchased a new Jack F4 sewing machine. It hates me.......

I have problems with all kinds of threads (good quality). If it's not skipping stitches, it's shredding thread, poly and cotton alike, especially hates the Glide thread that is not supposed to break as much.

I quilted on it for a week with no problems. I removed the feed dogs and am using an adapted/free motion foot. The feed dogs don't drop.

I am using the Juki 14/90 needles that came with it. Seems that the get dull very quickly.

it does seem to be a needle problem. Is there a better needle out there for quilting on this machine? If so could you give me the proper numbers for them, I looked on the Organ site and there are so many to choose from, it's confusing.

I just want to quilt, I am spending way too much time troubleshooting, my head is going to explode.

Thank you for any advice.
Linda

thimblebug6000 05-23-2019 06:09 AM

Sorry for your frustrations. I tried googling for you but every youtube or information I can find is not in English. Hope you can sort your problem soon.

Macybaby 05-23-2019 06:16 AM

Looks a lot like my Juki8700. I'm going to assume it's taking round shank needles so you have to be very careful that you are getting the needle in with the hole centered correctly. It's one of the things I dislike but understand why it's done that way. My husband has no trouble, but with my stigmatism I don't see real "straight" to start with so it gets harder for me to do (if I look down a straight 2x4, it will appear to have a curve in it)

I have not tried to do any FMQ on mine as I own an LA. However if it was working until you removed the feed dogs, you may need to lower the presser foot bar so the foot is riding slightly lower and putting a bit more tension on the fabric. However that issue normally shows up as skipped stitches and less often as thread shredding.

This sounds more like a timing issue, and it's possible you will have to tweak that after the other changes as now the fabric tension is different. I don't remember which way to do it, but you can alight the needle hole up slightly off center and see if that does it. That effectively changes the timing slightly.

donna13350 05-23-2019 11:41 AM

I FMQ with a hopping foot and the feed dogs UP...it gives me a lot more control and the stitches are better(for me)...try putting your feed dogs back and use your hopping foot. If it sewed correctly before you removed the feed dogs, this may be the problem for some reason.

meanmom 05-25-2019 03:46 AM

I have a Janome. It FMQ better with the feed dogs up. I use a supreme slider mat on my machine so the feed dogs are covered. I makes no sense to me but it works. Try putting the feed dogs back in and quilting that way. Also if that doesn't work try taping an index card over the feed dogs. Good luck.

donna13350 05-25-2019 04:35 PM

I don't cover my feed dogs at all! Guess we all do it our own way. Leah Day had a video out about FMQ-ing with the feed dogs up..that's where I learned it. I find that with the feed dogs uncovered, they move the fabric when the hopping foot goes down..you can get into a rhythm that way and the stitches are much more consistent. Leaving them up and uncovered still allows you to move the quilt sandwich freely, as the hopping foot doesn't pin the fabric down like a regular foot.

quiltedsunshine 05-25-2019 05:00 PM

Ah, it's an industrial machine. It couldn't hurt to try FMQ with the feed dogs on, and the presser foot tension lowered. You might want to check if there's a burr on the hook --which can be polished off with a very fine sandpaper (400-600 grit). On my longarm, if the thread is shredding, I turn the needle slightly to the right. If it skips stitches, I turn it slightly to the left. The hook on your machine is sideways to most domestic machines, but I think the same could apply.

Onebyone 05-26-2019 05:36 AM

Everyone thinks I'm crazy but I remember reading an article that said free motion quilting with the feed dogs up will damage the machine over time. I don't know why I didn't read that far because I wan't interested then. It has stayed with me not to do this. I have asked several techs about it and some say it's okay and some say no don't do it. I thought techs all learn the same thing. Ugh.

Lee in Richmond 05-26-2019 06:31 AM

Probably not the problem in this case, but your needles could have had a quality control issue in manufacturing that left burrs where the thread slides thru.

donna13350 05-26-2019 04:25 PM

There is absolutely no reason that leaving your feed dogs up can damage your machine! Think about how it works...the feed dogs move the fabric..the hopping foot "hops" up to allow you to move the fabric...believe me, you aren't strong enough to damage them!