Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome 1600P-DBX vs Juki 98Q vs Brother 1500 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-1600p-dbx-vs-juki-98q-vs-brother-1500-a-t19740.html)

hulahoop1 05-04-2009 04:39 PM

My DH has offered to get me a machine for my frame (that he built) which has 15" between so take-up roller and the first roller. So it's too small for a mid to long arm machine and those are too much for our budget anyway. I have been looking at these three machines because of the 9-inch throat space and am leaning towards the Janome because I have a dealer in town so repair/tune-ups are convenient. I would welcome your recommendations. What do you think?

kluedesigns 05-04-2009 05:16 PM

i'm in the market for one of these machines too.

i've taken all 3 on a test drive and none of them totally shined over the others.

they're all very similar with very similar features.

i have a local janome and brother dealer so when its time to hand over the cash i'm just going to go with the person that gives me the best price and the most accessories.

i'm waiting until the heat of summer time when no one is sewing to make my purchase - this way they're good and primed to make a deal.

camillacamilla 05-04-2009 05:58 PM

I have the Brother 1500, so if you have any questons, feel free to pm me. I LOVE it, but my only complaint is the bobbin- there is no chime or easy way the view the bobbin. You find out it has run out of thread...by sewing. :x It is a super smooth machine, quiet, easy to machine quilt with. 25 year warranty, knee lift, an assortment of machine feet come with it. I don't use mine on a frame, I machine quilt with the extension table and the bulk of the quilt supported. You can use a stitch regulator with this model if you choose. Honestly, if I were you, I would let the bobbin be a HUGE factor. Machine quilting runs through so much bobbin thread. I didn't consider it when I picked it out, and that is my only regret. Also, I only paid $800 for my Brother. Not sure what the others are going for. Hope that helps you some, feel free to message me if you need to.

kluedesigns 05-04-2009 06:06 PM

does the stitch regulator work on the brother machine (like on the bernina) or do you have to attach it to a quilting frame to use the stitch regulator?

littlehud 05-04-2009 06:19 PM

I love my Juki. Works great and is easy to use. I don't know about the other two.

sidmona 05-04-2009 06:35 PM

I love my Juki also. It has a thread cutter and a knee lift. I've done a king size quilt with it with no frame. It runs real smooth. The only thing I don't like is that there is no way to tell that the bobbin is running low. Love the needle down feature also.

kluedesigns 05-04-2009 06:38 PM

none of these 3 machines have a low bobbin alert.

Barbm 05-05-2009 04:05 AM

Have the Juki for over a year now. Love it!!!! Love the needle down, thread cutting, ease of use. I used to have the book open to the threading picture, but I can thread it with my eyes closed.

The walking foot and darning foot (for FMQ) came with it. Glad I didn't need to buy extras. The bobbin issue- I just make up a bunch of bobbins- usually 8 for a queen and have them ready to pop in whenever I need it.

My quilting has gotten so much better- having the proper tools reflects in your work. Another plus- since I have a better experience, I sew more! It goes faster as I pick up experience. Down side- nobody comes to visit me in my room. But it's OK- I like being alone with the peace and quiet.

I chose my Juki over the other 2 because I wanted a name synonymous with "workhorse". At the time we didn't have any sewing machine repair shops locally so I needed something that would withstand my newbie stage and train me. Now we have a place that comes once a week to a local quilt shop with the Janome machines. So I just go drool over them.

camillacamilla 05-05-2009 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
does the stitch regulator work on the brother machine (like on the bernina) or do you have to attach it to a quilting frame to use the stitch regulator?

Here is the link for it off the brother website:

http://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewin...DUCTID=PQ1500S

Under optional accessories it lists the Sure Stitch regulator. I don't use a regulator, so I don't know if it can be used without the frame or not. I do like that the machine can be used for felting, but I have yet to purchase the felting needles to try that yet.

BellaBoo 05-05-2009 06:30 AM

I have the Brother 1500s. No problems at all. I use it on a table top with the extension table that came with it. It's hard to find a Brother dealer now that knows this model. It's a workhorse, straight stitch only, 1500 stitches per second, pin feed, thread cutter, knee lift, but the bobbin like the others have said is a pain in the butt.