Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   janome 6600 or the horizon (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-6600-horizon-t196409.html)

debquilts2 08-01-2012 06:41 AM

janome 6600 or the horizon

what one do you have?? I what do you like about it??

Sewnoma 08-01-2012 07:02 AM

I just got a 6600 a couple months ago and I am seriously in love with this machine. I'm not familiar with the Horizon so I can't give you a comparison, though. My previous machines were more or less "beginner" machines so the 6600 is heads and shoulders above anything else I've owned. I think a lot of the features I'm thrilled about on this machine are probably on both machines.

I loooove the thread cut button. Best invention ever!! I love how strong the motor is - I think I could sew right through my fingers and it would barely slow down. (So far have managed to avoid testing that, though!) Accufeed is awesome, I suddenly became a much better quilter with that feature - I made sure to get extra feet so I have the SITD and the quarter-inch seam Accufeed feet and I'm a very happy quilter with those feet. I really like the separate bobbin winding motor. This machine performs all around better than my little Brother (CS6000i) when it comes to decorative stitching - no skipped stitches even at top speed and they come out neater and tighter in general. I love that I can position the needle to the left and right with such precision. I like that the feed dog drop switch is on the FRONT of the machine rather than on the back! I'm glad they put two lights on the machine instead of just one.

Overall, very happy with my 6600 and not a speck of buyer's remorse. To me it seems just as easy to use as my two little machines (I also have a 20 year old Kenmore) - easy to thread, easy to work with. So far it takes any thread and any fabric I throw at it without blinking but I've heard others say their 6600's are picky about thread.

One thing I would change about it is something I think is the same on every sewing machine - I wish I could take off the plate without having to unscrew it. I am trying to be really good about cleaning everything between projects and I'm terribly lazy and hate unscrewing the metal plate to get to the bobbin area. I wish it just latched on like the bobbin cover does, but I've never seen a machine like that so there's probabaly a reason they don't make them that way. Also wish the Accufeed feet could be snap-on like the rest of the feet but that's just laziness again on my part! Oh, and I wish it came with a hard cover instead of just a soft one....but it's so heavy I probably won't move it around much anyway so not a big deal.

This machine also came with a knee lifter, which my dealer swore I would fall in love with. I tried it for awhile but it was always in my way and I never used it so I finally took it off.

Ruby the Quilter 08-01-2012 01:07 PM

I went from a Janome 11000SE to the Horizon loved the 11000 but the Horizon is amazing. The 1/4" foot and stitch is wonderful. The embroidery is beautiful and easy. I have used a lot of the decorative stitches and they are great. It is a joy to sew on.

woody 08-01-2012 01:13 PM

I love my Horizon and my friend has the 6600 and loves hers too, I guess it would depend on how much you want to spend, they are both great machines.

jillnjo 08-01-2012 01:13 PM

Have had the Horizon for 2 years now and still love it. Have not had any problems with it. Love the large space to move quilts around with the FMQ, which works beautifully, too. Decorative stitches are great. Been a good choice for me and if I ever get a LA, I'll still use the Horizon for all of my sewing and piecing.

snipforfun 08-01-2012 03:57 PM

You may want to get this throat plate screwdriver. http://www.morkoproducts.com/throat-...crewdriver.php
Makes the job so much easier! Also, I never replace the back screw. Serves mo purpose I can see. I just keep it or a spare. By the way, my old Bernina has the cover that comes off without using a screwdriver! The 6600 has so many great features and dependability. I agree about the A F feet, but I just deal with it.

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 5410543)
I just got a 6600 a couple months ago and I am seriously in love with this machine. I'm not familiar with the Horizon so I can't give you a comparison, though. My previous machines were more or less "beginner" machines so the 6600 is heads and shoulders above anything else I've owned. I think a lot of the features I'm thrilled about on this machine are probably on both machines.

I loooove the thread cut button. Best invention ever!! I love how strong the motor is - I think I could sew right through my fingers and it would barely slow down. (So far have managed to avoid testing that, though!) Accufeed is awesome, I suddenly became a much better quilter with that feature - I made sure to get extra feet so I have the SITD and the quarter-inch seam Accufeed feet and I'm a very happy quilter with those feet. I really like the separate bobbin winding motor. This machine performs all around better than my little Brother (CS6000i) when it comes to decorative stitching - no skipped stitches even at top speed and they come out neater and tighter in general. I love that I can position the needle to the left and right with such precision. I like that the feed dog drop switch is on the FRONT of the machine rather than on the back! I'm glad they put two lights on the machine instead of just one.

Overall, very happy with my 6600 and not a speck of buyer's remorse. To me it seems just as easy to use as my two little machines (I also have a 20 year old Kenmore) - easy to thread, easy to work with. So far it takes any thread and any fabric I throw at it without blinking but I've heard others say their 6600's are picky about thread.

One thing I would change about it is something I think is the same on every sewing machine - I wish I could take off the plate without having to unscrew it. I am trying to be really good about cleaning everything between projects and I'm terribly lazy and hate unscrewing the metal plate to get to the bobbin area. I wish it just latched on like the bobbin cover does, but I've never seen a machine like that so there's probabaly a reason they don't make them that way. Also wish the Accufeed feet could be snap-on like the rest of the feet but that's just laziness again on my part! Oh, and I wish it came with a hard cover instead of just a soft one....but it's so heavy I probably won't move it around much anyway so not a big deal.

This machine also came with a knee lifter, which my dealer swore I would fall in love with. I tried it for awhile but it was always in my way and I never used it so I finally took it off.

mamaw 08-01-2012 04:42 PM

They are both great machines with the accufeed systems; but I went with the Horizon for the extra lighting it has and the large throat space area to work with. Those features alone make it worth the extra expense.

WandaVA 08-01-2012 06:29 PM

The Horizon is considerably more expensive than the 6600; it wasn't worth the difference to me. My husband wanted me to get the Horizon because he always wants "the best", but it was too big for my cabinet (and I love my cabinet). So I got the 6600 and a Janome 350 embroidery machine--buying both machines cost little more than the Horizon.

The 6600 does not a free-arm, but that wasn't an issue for me because I have a good Kenmore free-arm machine. I have had the 6600 for over a year and love, love, love it!! I totally agree with sewnoma's comments.

thanneaKS 08-01-2012 06:32 PM

I have a 6600, a Juki HZL600, a Bernina Activa and an old Elna Carina. I use them each for different things--just me. I piece and quilt on the 6600 and I love it. In fact, I'm quilting a baby quilt tomorrow (got it all pin-basted today) and I'm looking forward to it! If I had to downscale to just one machine, the 6600 would win.

IngeMK 08-01-2012 06:42 PM

I love how strong the motor is - I think I could sew right through my fingers and it would barely slow down. (So far have managed to avoid testing that, though!) .[/QUOTE]

trust me, it will. I tried :)