Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome 6600 Memory Craft vs Horizon 7700 QCP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-6600-memory-craft-vs-horizon-7700-qcp-t65049.html)

Raina 09-16-2010 10:34 AM

This is my first post on the board. I am new to the world of quilting and need a machine. I have a Singer but it doesn't have much room between the needle and the main body of the machine. I was wondering in anyone had some feedback on the Janome 6600 or the new 7700. Or is there a better quilting maching out there? I would appreciate any/all feedback from all of you experienced quilters :)

miss_ticky2 09-16-2010 12:49 PM

Hi...I have just bought the 7700 but haven't had time to do much yet (I haven't had it a week yet..lol). I did stitch a binding on a quilt I already had done and I am impressed with it. Can't wait to make use of the 11" throat area :)

Suzan Larrimore 09-16-2010 12:58 PM

I just got a Husqvarna Viking 875 Quilt. Aside from all of the other wonderful features it comes with, I like that it has a full 10 inches in the throat area. Obviously, I'm a little biased, but if you can afford it I would suggest at least checking them out. I love mine!

watterstide 09-16-2010 01:16 PM

i have the 6600. 9" throat.
7700 - 11" through
i would love to have the larger throat, but i would not trade my 6600 for anything. i love her..and well, i am used to her,and the way she runs..

IF i was starting over, AND had the money..i would go with the 7700.
so i guess, i am no help at all!
other than, you can't go wrong with a Janome..

ruacajun2 09-16-2010 02:37 PM

I have the 4600, 300E, 6500 and the 11000 Embrodiery Machines. And if I could do it all over again I would have gotten the 11000 in the beginning. It has upgrades that can be bought - done this twice already.
My daughter (13 yrs) has inherited the 4600 and the 300e Embrodiery machine and the other two are all mine. She has set up her own sewing table in her room and we are working on a project together - hers and mine.
But I hear that the 7700 are a great Machine. I love my Janomes. :thumbup: But I agree that not every machine works for some people. Test drive them and then choose which one will suit your needs best. Good Luck!

patricej 09-16-2010 02:59 PM

i absolutely love my Janome 6600. i drool over the 7700 but given the difference in price have decided to stick with what i have.

if you can afford the 7700, give it a test drive. i would also recommend you check your Pfaff dealer if there's one within a reasonable distance. they have a model with all the same features but all the specialty feet snap on, which is much more convenient. in my area, both machines sell for the same price.

i love my janomes, but if i was ready to upgrade i'd test them both before deciding.

watterstide 09-16-2010 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i absolutely love my Janome 6600. i drool over the 7700 but given the difference in price have decided to stick with what i have.

if you can afford the 7700, give it a test drive. i would also recommend you check your Pfaff dealer if there's one within a reasonable distance. they have a model with all the same features but all the specialty feet snap on, which is much more convenient. in my area, both machines sell for the same price.

i love my janomes, but if i was ready to upgrade i'd test them both before deciding.

Patrice, is there a difference in prices for the feet? in reguards to the Pfaff? although i have never owned anything other than my 6600..i have read the prices here, for the purchase of feet for the bernina seem very high..

Navy Wife 09-16-2010 03:27 PM

I'm pretty sure the Pfaff feet are cheaper than the Bernina. Everything is less than Bernina. I love my Pfaff. It's a Creative Vision, and my third Pfaff. I love the even feed foot built in. I have trouble with my little Janome and that foot. It's too wide and very hard to get a true 1/4 inch seam, plus I can't see the seam with that big monster on it! I still love the Janome for class and travel, but for quilting, I'll take the Pfaff!

scowlkat 09-16-2010 04:29 PM

Bernina accessories tend to be the most expensive. I would say Viking falls next in line. I have found that Babylock, Janome and Pfaff are all about the same price range for accessories.

You can't go wrong with Janome IMHO. If cost is much of an issue, don't disregard the Janome 6500 which has the same throat space as the 6600 but does not have the built in dual feed (which I personally dislike immensely!). The main thing is to give yourself some time to test drive each machine and see what fits you best.

hobo2000 09-16-2010 04:36 PM

I love Janome's. Mine has never been to a repair shop in 12 years. The 1/4 ft on a Janome has a vertical piece of metal the holds your fabric in line. It is great when you start getting tired at night. The 7700 with the 11" is fantastic. I used one in a 3 day class, almost cried when I had to go home without it.