Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome 6600 owners....I have a couple questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-6600-owners-i-have-couple-questions-t169283.html)

Buckeye Rose 11-21-2011 07:24 AM

Janome 6600 owners....I have a couple questions

I recently purchased a used 6600 and love it so far. But yesterday I had a problem and didn't know how to fix. I was fmq and the bobbin ran out. I changed the bobbin, started sewing again....horrible mess on the back. Hmmmm.....I rethreaded 5-6 times, changed different bobbins, different fabrics.....same result. I had to walk away I was so frustrated. After calming down and returning to the machine, turning it back on, trying again....it was fine? I don't understand what happened. It was if the tension discs decided not to engage until I turned on/off the machine. What happened? After that, machine was ok until I quit for the night. I am so confused!

I also notice that the bobbin seems to rattle quite a bit while sewing, is that normal? Will it cause problems? Will those bobbin spacer things help with that?

Thanks in advance for all your help, the quilters here always have the answers!

EllenwoodGa 11-21-2011 10:46 AM

I can't help you with the problem. Although, I have been told to always cut my computerized machines off for 10 to 20 seconds and that will reset them and usually correct any problem..... Please log any other problems/ hints that would be knowledge about this machine, because I am thinking of buying one this month.

Crqltr 11-21-2011 10:52 AM

I have this machine, it has done that a couple times. I find that if I rethread the top also it quits. Other than that I love the machine.

QuiltE 11-21-2011 11:01 AM

I haven't had that happen. Though I have had a couple of quirky things, which so far I have chalked up to my newness to the machine. My solution so far has been to take the bobbin out and rethread, and likewise to rethread the top thread.

When I was at my class, they really stressed using quality thread ... Mettler or Aurifil. One of the ladies had problems and switched and has not had any since. I started with those two and decided til I really got to know my machine, I would use them. Later I'll switch back and try some of my other threads and then at least I'll know if it's the machine being picky .... or there's no significant difference (rather than it being operator problems!).

wvdek 11-21-2011 03:42 PM

It is very important to use only bobbins meant for Janome. On the 6600, the bobbin must be flat on both sides - no concave whatsoever. My bobbin used to jump around until I changed out to ones meant for Janome. SOnce doing so, I have had no problems. I buy them on E-bay from a gal who sells them by the bag in different quantities. Last time I bought 50 and this next time, I will do the same. I keep at least 5 of the top colors I use filled at all times.
Also, you must hold the bobbin and top threads back and to the right of the needle when you start out stitching otherwise the threads can get all 'nested up' underneath.
When all else fails, rethread everything, clean out your bobbun area, make sure the needle screw and the foot screw are tight. Good luck!

patricej 11-21-2011 04:29 PM

Also remember that the Janome 6600 uses Class 15 bobbins.

Class L bobbins will do "ok" during the mundane straight stitching while piecing but the Class 15 plastic bobbins are the all around wiser purchase.

carrieg 11-21-2011 04:37 PM

I too was going to ask if you had used a different bobbin when switching it out. I have this machine and my bobbin has never rattled. I don't do much FMQ with it though.

QuiltE 11-21-2011 04:39 PM

Just thought about this ... there's a special bobbin case for the Janome and FMQ with the accufeed. Some have said that the extra cost is well worth the $$ and that FMQing is much easier and better with it.

indymta 11-21-2011 05:57 PM

I was also told that one needed the different bobbin case for FMQ. Has something to do with tension settings.
Haven't tried it yet so don't know if that would solve your problem.

feffertim 11-22-2011 08:29 AM

there is a great group for Janome 6600 owners with over 5000 members and there is a lot of great information on there. One of the answers on the bobbin rattling was to make sure the wick is oiled. There are many posts on that board that tell you how to do that. I joined two months ago and have learned so much about my machine. Here is the link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Janome6500/