Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome 8900 Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-8900-question-t243929.html)

Z Any Mouse 03-25-2014 08:37 PM

Janome 8900 Question

I recently traded in my Janome Horizon 7700 for an 8900, and am having issues with the dual feed walking foot. I was sewing along on my second project, a table runner, when the walking foot completely came apart. After being unable to put it back together, I took it back to my dealer. They were mystified at how this could happen, and ordered me a new one, without charge. Since then I have sewn a couple table runners and a baby quilt, when tonight the exact same thing happened! Complete disintegration, parts everywhere, and this time the needle rammed down on top of the foot pieces a few times before I was able to stop the machine. The thing is, I don't even use the walking foot that much, only for basting around the quilt and binding. I mostly do free-motion quilting. Has anyone else had problems with the walking foot on the 8900? I've owned several other Janomes and never had this problem. Other than that, this is a wonderful machine. I will be talking to my dealer first thing in the morning...

DOTTYMO 03-25-2014 11:53 PM

It sounds as if there is a problem with the walking foot manufacturing.
I had a new WF which I sold to another sewer who broke it first time out. I had not used it so not sure if a problem.

patricej 03-26-2014 12:51 AM

two adapters in a row?
i hate to ask this question, but it must be considered:
are you absolutely sure you are attaching the adapter properly and securely each time?

i'd been using my 8900 for many months when i suddenly started experiencing a weird problem that happened only when i was using the dual feed adapter and feet. i had made up my mind to take it in for warranty examination and repair. as suddenly and mysteriously as it started - it stopped happening. everything has been hunky dory for the many months since then. soooooo ... the virtually inescapable conclusion [in my case] is that i must have been doing something wrong when installing the adapter.

when you pick up the next adapter, haul your machine in, too. have the dealer watch while you install it.
also ask your dealer to give your machine a thorough examination to ensure all of the machine parts are working properly - with [naturally] emphasis on examination of the parts involved in attaching and holding the adapter in place.

Mdaniels 03-26-2014 01:26 AM

I'll be watching this, as I just brought one home--so far I love it--but I haven't had a chance to play with the dual feed yet.

Raggiemom 03-26-2014 04:18 AM

Mine doesn't break but the foot does detach quite easily. It has done that several times while I'm quilting.

Quiltngolfer 03-26-2014 04:46 AM

Are you talking about a walking foot or the Acufeed foot? I never use a walking foot with my 8900. The Acufeed foot does that job. On mine, I have to be careful to tighten the screw securely. I check it occasionally to make sure it stays tightened. It can become loose and wobble some.

Z Any Mouse 03-26-2014 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 6645141)
two adapters in a row?
i hate to ask this question, but it must be considered:
are you absolutely sure you are attaching the adapter properly and securely each time?

i'd been using my 8900 for many months when i suddenly started experiencing a weird problem that happened only when i was using the dual feed adapter and feet. i had made up my mind to take it in for warranty examination and repair. as suddenly and mysteriously as it started - it stopped happening. everything has been hunky dory for the many months since then. soooooo ... the virtually inescapable conclusion [in my case] is that i must have been doing something wrong when installing the adapter.

when you pick up the next adapter, haul your machine in, too. have the dealer watch while you install it.
also ask your dealer to give your machine a thorough examination to ensure all of the machine parts are working properly - with [naturally] emphasis on examination of the parts involved in attaching and holding the adapter in place.

Thanks for the advice. I found a Janome video on You Tube that showed how to attach the walking/dual feed foot, and I am doing it properly. When I picked up the second foot, it was not in a box and jiggled around a lot like the first one. I'm now wondering if it was a refurbished foot that was not fixed properly. The shop doesn't open for a couple more hours, so until then, I am pacing back and forth...

Skratchie 03-26-2014 07:13 AM

I have never had a problem with the AccuFeed foot coming off or not working. And honestly, I've never heard of anything like you're describing either. Good luck getting it all figured out.

Z Any Mouse 03-26-2014 07:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the carnage.

Sally J 03-26-2014 09:15 AM

Wow...I would go my dealer with the machine and the above part just as it stands and DEMAND they do something. With the needle hitting that time you may have also sent the machine "out of sync". I have a 8200 (same machine but not as many fancy stitches) and my foot has come off twice during sewing but this is much more than that.
There was someone who had a lemon machine and finally with her persistence her dealer replaced it. Good luck and let us know what happens.