Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome AcuFil? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-acufil-t233115.html)

romille 10-23-2013 08:45 PM

Janome AcuFil?

I am researching machines, trying to decide which way to go when I upgrade from my little Bernette 25. It will be a while before I can purchase one, but I want to make sure I choose wisely. I think it will come down to choosing between Janome and Bernina because these are the machines carried by local shops. There is also a Pfaff dealer, but I don't really like their shop and therefore won't be able to ask machine advice when I am fabric shopping.

What are your opinions on the Janome AcuFil system? I still have a long way to go before my FMQ is decent, and I don't really want to spend a ton of money paying long arm folks or renting time. The idea of quilting in a hoop is appealing, especially since some of the designs would probably take me a very long time to master and I want my quilts to turn out nicely while I am still learning FMQ.

DOTTYMO 10-23-2013 09:47 PM

Do you have a juki dealer close. There new machines over a wide range of stitches and are very comfortable to use.i would definately make sure you had as large a throat as possible. The bernina 550 was a great disappointment to me as they were promoting a new quilters machine but had only made a cosmetic change.

Misty's Mom 10-24-2013 04:37 AM

I love my janome and IMHO the accufil is the only way to go.

Sandygirl 10-24-2013 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom (Post 6365512)
I love my janome and IMHO the accufil is the only way to go.

Please expand on your experience. Thanks
sandy

Quiltngolfer 10-24-2013 05:54 AM

I bought the Janome Horizon 8900 this summer. It is wonderful! It does a wonderful stitch on any fabric. The accufeed foot detaches on this model. I have quilted 3 quilts on it. It really flies. It has an 11" throat which really makes it easier to quilt the larger quilts. I had been sending out all of my quilts to a longarmer, but now I can do them. The machine has a bag full of extra feet with it. It also included the quilting table to fit on it. I felt like I got a real bargain. I really enjoy using the machine. You should try one out at your dealer.

Misty's Mom 10-24-2013 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 6365663)
Please expand on your experience. Thanks
sandy

It is an embroidery/quilting program that I have with my janome 12000. To hoop your quilt you just lay is across the hoop, put the template on top to center the area you want to stitch, then while holding the template, attach the 8 magnets to the hoop. Remove the template attach to your embroidery arm and stitch.

I kinda got ahead of my self. There are designs programmed with the software that tells you how many hoopings you will need to quilt your project after you enter in the size. I haven't done this part yet, I like creating my own design and centering it on the block. You can also use any of your other designs too, it's very versatile. Hope this helps.

Dolphyngyrl 10-24-2013 06:09 PM

That sounds similar to a magnahoop