Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome advice... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-advice-t197254.html)

scrappingfaye58 08-10-2012 04:14 PM

Janome advice...

I am wanting to as "Santa" for a sewing machine for Christmas... I took 2 of my machines (a basic Singer "school model" and a Brother that someone had given me) into the dealer to have routine maintenance done earlier this week.

My only real requirements are that the needle can stop either up or down, and that it is electronic and I can do FMQ on it...

He showed me a couple, and basically said that those 2 things would allow me to FMQ on one. I didn't write down the model numbers, and plan to look a little more intensely when I pick up my machines, but thought I would ask for input.

I would like to keep it under $500... if at all possible...

Any and all input and advice will be welcomed!!!

Faye

misskira 08-10-2012 05:06 PM

The dc2012 is usually right at $500 and can do those things. It comes with a bunch of feet too, so that helps keep the accessories cost down. There is one just a little over $500 that a lot of people love too. I can't remember which model for sure...maybe the 5100?

Eat: it might be the 4030 I'm thinking of.

pinkberrykay 08-10-2012 05:14 PM

I have the Janome DC3050 and love it, cost $499. I had to buy a walking foot and 1/4 inch foot but that only added another $30. I can free motion quilt and can free motion up to a lap sized quilt.

Jingle 08-10-2012 05:34 PM

I have two straight stitch only machines with 9" throats and I can FMQ on either one up to a queen or bigger. I have been doing FMQ for about 10 years. My Daughter has a Brother 1500 with 9" throat, very good straight stitch only, she loves it. Bought it at allbrands.com she is quilting a king size quilt now. All thre of these machines have needle stop up or down. Her machine was 500.00 or 600.00 shipping free. Look around and I'm sure you will find one you like. Good Luck.

QM 08-10-2012 05:49 PM

It is well over your 500 price tag, but my 1600P is IMHO the ideal quilter's straight stitch machine. The deeper throat makes quilting much easier. There is a separate motor for the bobbin winder, a good needle threader. I do about 45 quilts a year so dependability is key. I have a fancy stitch machine but this is my workhorse. The trait I really enjoy is the thread cutter. When I am quilting it is very handy to be able to lock and cut a thread. I use that much more than I expected.

Dolphyngyrl 08-10-2012 07:08 PM

iF YOU HAVE 500 i WOULD LOOK AT THE BROTHER STRAIGHT STICH SINCE YOU HAVE TWO SMALLER THAT CAN BE USED FOR OTHER THINGS

Sandygirl 08-11-2012 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay (Post 5432231)
I have the Janome DC3050 and love it, cost $499. I had to buy a walking foot and 1/4 inch foot but that only added another $30. I can free motion quilt and can free motion up to a lap sized quilt.

I have this machine and love it for small projects and classes BUT I would go for a larger/deeper throat in the Janome line. I am sure that this one is fine for small quilts but I would want to have more room to grow. Save up some more $$ and get a machine that you will grow with. Check the webites to compare models and of course, search this forum for input. I have 4 Janomes so I am prejudice for the brand. I barely glance at others. I just love them! Quiet too.
sandy

nabobw 08-11-2012 05:00 AM

If you trust your dealer ask him about a good gently used jamone. That will save you money. If you were in my area I could recommed a dealer I trust.