Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome eating fabric at the beginning . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-eating-fabric-beginning-t240759.html)

stillclock 02-09-2014 09:19 PM

if it's brand new and under warranty i might take it in, because i have two janomes and neither one does this unless it is improperly threaded, the needle is ridiculously dull or the piece i am using is too small to withstand the downward pressure of the needle.

aileen

DOTTYMO 02-09-2014 10:47 PM

Try this tip. Begin about an inch down seam reverse to beginning and forward. My janome doesn't eat fabric when I do this.
Leaders also work but I forget to use them hence the above tip. Good luck.
I love my janome except for this problem.

justflyingin 02-09-2014 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Milli (Post 6565511)
Brand new machine eats fabric at the start or when sewing over layers!!!

How many layers?

The eating at the beginning is the whole reason for leader/ender quilts using small pieces that you plan on using somewhere else...

But the part about sewing over layers and chewing up fabric would concern me. The other is someone normal.

Zinda 02-10-2014 05:01 AM

I agree with the above posters. Even though I hate to use a leader! It did help when I used a straight stitch needle plate. Smaller hole for fabric to get lost in. Also helps to hold the thread tighter.

Judi in Ohio 02-10-2014 05:37 AM

I'm not sure what the difference is but the Juki's have no problem with that. Try Bonnie Hunters leader/ender trick that makes extra blocks while helping with this problem.

BLAP 02-10-2014 09:43 AM

I had the same issue but I switched to a throat plate with only a single hole and started using the starter fabric and the problem went away.

Milli 02-10-2014 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6565613)
All machines that I've ever sewn on will eat the starting fabric if you don't use a leader, or a straight stitch plate, and/or hold the thread tight when you start. It's just the nature of the zigzag-capable sewing machine. I'm not sure what you mean, though, when you say "sewing over layers." Is that when you're in the middle of a seam and encounter another seam? If it's happening then, the only thing I can think of would be a dull or incorrect needle, like PlanoDebbie mentioned.

Yes that is what I mean, when u r sewing block and many pieces to make up the block sewing two together.

thanx for all your help.

Milli 02-10-2014 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin (Post 6565823)
How many layers?

The eating at the beginning is the whole reason for leader/ender quilts using small pieces that you plan on using somewhere else...

But the part about sewing over layers and chewing up fabric would concern me. The other is someone normal.

When there are more than two layers of fabric the machine eats it pulls down into the bobbin housing and ruin the seam and most times the block.

thanks everyone for all your help, I knew this was the right place to ask.

Milli 02-10-2014 09:49 AM

:D:D:D:D:D
Love this board!

Barb_MO 02-10-2014 12:15 PM

You should not have to use pieces as starting fabrics. If you do something is wrong with how you are feeding the fabric into your machine.