Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome Memory Craft 6500 Pro (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-memory-craft-6500-pro-t297773.html)

kimmiegail 06-22-2018 07:18 AM

Janome Memory Craft 6500 Pro

To all my quilting friends. I am new to this forum and have a question for all of the Janome Memory Craft 6500 Pro owners. I have had this machine for quite some time now, and it drives me bonkers every time I use it. It vibrates enough at a high speed and doesn't really give good stitch definition. I've had it serviced 3 times in the last 1 1/2 years and the last time, the technician told me there was nothing that could be done about it, that this model just was like that. I have the vibration/noise pad underneath of it and I have bought an industrial table made for a man's workshop from Lowes that you can stand on and jump on and it won't move, so I know it's not either of these. Do any of you that have this machine have this trouble, and if so, were you ever able to correct it? For a $1,500 machine new when purchased, I really don't want to purchase a new machine, but I'm very frustrated. I don't want to send it in for repair again, as at $100 per time, it's getting pricey.

Watson 06-22-2018 09:48 AM

I have the Singer S18, which is the same machine as the Janome 6500P, made by Janome, and it doesn't vibrate hardly at all.

Hope you find some help.

Watson

KalamaQuilts 06-22-2018 12:39 PM

welcome Kimmie!
you are sewing too fast for the table to cope with I'd guess. If in that big a hurry go buy a blanket :)

seriously, stabilize the machine in/on a stabilized table.

lindaschipper 06-23-2018 04:02 AM

I also have the Janome MC6500P and love mine. As suggested, you may have the speed adjusted too high and are running too fast. Mine is set at the half way mark. To help insulate against noise and vibration, try to find an old typewriter rubber pad (Amazon?)...it worked for millions of typewriters it could be used for sewing machines also.

coffeegirl 06-23-2018 04:52 AM

That is my regular machine and I've had it for quite some time. It's super quiet and stable...no vibrations so Iwouldn't believe that it's "just that machine". If you DO decide to take it in for service, try taking it to someone else!

deeleigh 06-23-2018 09:16 AM

I have had the 6600 for along time and it gets used a lot. DH tried to talk me into getting a new machine and I asked why would I want one. no problems and only take it to get serviced when I can stand to be without it Dee

Cheryl7758 06-23-2018 10:28 AM

I have had my 6500P since they first came out. No vibrations that I have noticed and it is currently being used on top of the square table that is intended for use with a featherweight, so not the most stable table of set ups; prior to that it was on the dinning room table. Where are you located? Maybe someone can suggest another place to have your machine serviced.

Lady Diana 06-23-2018 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8080448)
welcome Kimmie!
you are sewing too fast for the table to cope with I'd guess. If in that big a hurry go buy a blanket :)

seriously, stabilize the machine in/on a stabilized table.

s
Not nice, even with your smiley face. She already told us she HAS STABLIZED HER MACHINE AND HAS AN INDUSTRIAL TABLE. She has done both.

mac 06-23-2018 11:34 AM

When I was a kid, I learned to sew on a Necchi sewing machine and it was very fast. It would shake and shimmy, but I got used to it. Peddle to the metal and incidentally that is how I learned to drive, too. LOL

Although I am a slower driver, now that I am 67, I am still a fast sewer. I often times will find my sewing machine (Janome 6600) vibrating, too. My table is a sturdy table, but it will vibrate if I am sewing really fast. What I found that worked was to put a thick rubber kitchen mat to absorb the vibration under the machine. I got one of those dense kitchen mats that you stand on from a restaurant supply store, and cut it the size of the machine's footprint and this helps a lot. They also carry the really thick rubber mats at a hardware store, too.

The other thing was to slow down a bit in my sewing. I'm always in a hurry, but when I sew really fast, I find that my accuracy is not the greatest. Using the button that makes the machine go slower really helps me to slow down and work at a pace that is more realistic for accuracy.

Just one more thought...
When I go to a quilting retreat, I take my Featherweight. The tables provided are your regular 6' or 8' tables that fold up. They are not very sturdy and my Featherweight will vibrate terribly when sewing on these tables. To steady the machine, I will use the **plywood boards that I use to keep my cutting mat flat while traveling and put that under my machine. This works really well.

** In order to keep my cutting mat from curling up while it is in a hot car, I had two pieces of plywood cut the same size as my cutting mat. I sandwich the cutting mat in the middle and then clamp each side of the plywood with those black binder clamps. I have been known to keep my cutting mat in my trunk for weeks at a time (even in the summertime) because I go to a sewing class once a week and I hate taking everything out of my car (I also keep my Featherweight in the trunk) and I have never ruined a mat.

wildyard 06-23-2018 02:41 PM

I just traded in my Memory Craft for the Skyline S5 and I love both of them. I got the Memory Craft used, and put a lot of miles on it. I use an old military metal desk for my sewing table and it is VERY stable. I never had a problem with vibrations even tho I sew very fast too.
My guess would be that this is an issue with your particular machine and I, too, suggest finding a new technician to work on it.