Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome, Pfaff, or eversewn? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-pfaff-eversewn-t310829.html)

Ethai 05-02-2020 08:31 AM

Janome, Pfaff, or eversewn?

Hello! This is my first time using this forum but I was hoping some of you could provide some feedback. I am looking to replace my old beginner sewing machine with one that has more functions and will last a long time. I think I have narrowed it down to 3 options but I’m having difficulty deciding since there’s so many conflicting reviews online.
I’ve narrowed it to the Janome 3160QDC, Pfaff passport 3.0, or Eversewn sparrow 30. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thank you!

juliasb 05-02-2020 09:30 AM

Fist of all Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan. I am a big fan of Janome products. Mine has been a work horse with only one problem in about 30 years. The problem was more me than the machine. I also have a Janome serger and it has served me well for as long. They have a great reputation for quality machines. Every machine has different qualities and it is really your preference in what you believe will be the best bet for the budget you have for a machine. This is a big decision and we all have been there at one time or another.
I hope you will take time to explore and enjoy the forum. There are so many helpful people here. Again welcome to the QB!

Onebyone 05-02-2020 09:31 AM

I think either one will be fine for sewing. I know the Eversewn 30 has auto thread cutter, a must have feature on a new machine for me whatever the brand.

Iceblossom 05-02-2020 09:38 AM

Hello and welcome, can you tell us which are the features you are most wanting to get/why did you decide on those machines?

Like I mostly quilt and 99% of the fancy stitches (other than serpentine for quilting down) will never get used. But I like the knee lift, deep throat, thread cutter and auto threader of my fancy Bernina along with needle up/down through my foot pedal. I like my trusty old vintage machine for being a little piecing work horse that can do any thing I throw at it, including jeans and upholstery.

Just got one of those back from the shop (the vintage one) and the Bernina is still broken but that dealer is accepting repair drop offs now -- anyway, been sewing on a bottom of the line Brother ($100 or less new sort) since January that I have for classes or traveling because working beats non-working. I will say I've been impressed with the accuracy of the quilting foot, the threading assist is more than my vintage machine has, and it is chugging away making masks just fine.

Jennifer23 05-02-2020 09:50 AM

All three of those are great machines. I would go with the Pfaff Passport for the IDT (built-in walking foot), but I think the other two have slightly larger throats. My Mom has the 3160, and it's an absolute workhorse. Normally I would go to the dealers and try them out, but I don't know if that's possible at this time where you live.

Whichever one you choose, have fun with it!

Jordan 05-02-2020 09:58 AM

Welcome to the board. I have a Janome and bought it used and have no problems with it what so ever. I do get it cleaned about every 2 years. The three options that you have narrowed down are all good machine. I think it really depends on what features you want on a sewing machine. Good luck on your decision and let us know

SouthPStitches 05-02-2020 10:38 AM

Welcome Ethai. I have an Eversewn Sparrow 30 and just love it. You get a lot of bang for your buck.

Ethai 05-02-2020 11:38 AM

Thank you for all your replies! The main reasons I narrowed it down to these machines are the prices are all around the same range and these machines seem to have a lot of positive reviews.
I don’t need a lot of fancy stitches but I would like the machine to grow with my skills in the future. I am teaching my young children on the machine so the speed adjustment was a must.
Right now the main purpose of the machine would be for general crafting and hemming/altering kids clothes. In the future, I would want to explore quilting.
To me the most important factor is the reliability and ease of use. With 3 little ones at home, I need a machine that I don’t need to worry about acting up on me and I don’t need to fiddle with to get good results. I appreciate all your comments!

Murphy224 05-03-2020 01:21 AM

Any one of the machines you listed would be just right for your current needs. It would also be a great back up machine for later when you decide to venture into quilting. I have and love the Janome 3160, it is my travel machine although I do set it up in my living room in a sweat shop style of stitching and have pieced a quilt on it. It has been reliable, easy to use, and have had no problems with it.
One thing you might consider is the availability of a dealer near you. If you can find any of these machine at a local dealer, that would be a good way to go in case you have problems later. I can only speak for the Janome but mine has only been cleaned and never had a repair (it is 6 years old) but something to consider.
Good luck in which ever you choose and welcome to the forum. You can learn lots here!!https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/smile.png

patricej 05-03-2020 02:28 AM

Janome for sure.