Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-sewing-machines-t208004.html)

w7sue 12-11-2012 12:13 AM

I have owned three Janome's. My very first one is a 6500 that I won on a quilt run several years ago. We have a beach house where I like to sew and I purchased a Jem for there. It didn't have the blanket stitch, so I replaced it with the next model up that had that one stitch. I love them - just basic maintenance is all I have ever done and I use them a lot. My husband has commented from time to time that when I walk in the door at the beach house, I set up and that machine runs almost the entire time I am there (he's exagerating), but it just goes and goes and never gets tired. I would recommend them any day.

Amythyst02 12-11-2012 03:48 AM

What a wonderful friend you are to her and Santa. I am sure no matter what she receives she will be thrilled. While I do not have a Janome, I have heard nothing but good things about them. I do not think you could go wrong getting her one. Best of luck shopping, and Merry Christmas to you as well.

Originally Posted by Linda Renfro (Post 5708012)
I was wondering if you wonderful folks could give me some input on Janome sewing machines. I have a friend that has a limited income.... and her sewing machine recently went belly up so, she is using a yard sale fine that hops off the table when she sews, so I thought maybe Santa could find something that is reasonable in price that he could drop off at her house this Christmas. She wants to replace her broken machine with a Janome but it doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles but she would like to have some fancy stitches, so since I'm going to help Santa I thought perhaps you folks/elves could give me some input on what you think is a good machine and still reasonable. Thanks to all of you and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

QM 12-11-2012 03:54 AM

I think it depends on the budget and what it is to be used for. After many years of having just one machine, I now have 3, all Janome. I have a small portable to take to group, a really heavy duty straight stitch machine for almost everything and a higher level machine with lots of fancy stitches. IMHO, quilters' machines are not a one size fits all situation. For a very limited budget, I'd suggest a garage sale hunt.

katesnanna 12-11-2012 03:55 AM

I have 3 different Janomes and wouldn't change brands.

larry 12-11-2012 04:00 AM

I nave a 11000 have had no trouble in 5 years not been back to the shop
I would buy a janome great machine

Holice 12-11-2012 04:23 AM

First: What kind of sewing does she do
Second: What is Santa's budget
Third: If there is a local shop that sells machines, look for a good used one
Fourth: If not Third then go back to First and Second but get new machine from shop that can provide service.
Mail order is ok (sometimes) but one needs local support. I got a very good older White machine recenty when I wanted to play Santa. Local dealer had lots of used machines It works great.

JoyceRowell 12-11-2012 04:40 AM

I have a $200.00 brother quilting machine from wal mart and love it. This machine does it all and than some. It runs so smooth also.

topstitch 12-11-2012 04:52 AM

My friend has a Janome and a Bernina. She like the Janome much better

earlylace 12-11-2012 05:11 AM

I use a DC 2012 and love it. It can serge and has a bunch of zig zag stitches, using it non stop now for 3 years. Has done everything I want, love it. I paid about $300 but you may get a deal on a used one at your dealer. A real work horse. I have even done free motion on it.

countrymaid 12-11-2012 05:41 AM

I have a DC2010. It is my second Janome and I love it. I don't sew every day but when I hit a hot streak it goes and goes.