Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome thread tension problem while quilting, advice? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-thread-tension-problem-while-quilting-advice-t14908.html)

Zoo 12-31-2008 07:17 PM

Hey All,
I'm new to the board and hoping someone can help me with a problem that's come up with quilting using my Janome 419S.

I was quilting a lap quilt for myself and things were going along great, and I was having a blast since it's my first attempt at machine quilting anything. The stitches were locking fine until I was halfway done, then, not so much. I started to develop small loops on the underside of the fabric, then big sloppy loops, despite the fact that my thread tension is set at 9. And let me repeat, the quilting was going along fine for almost half the quilt.

Some tech info: I'm quilting with the feed dogs dropped and using a darning foot made by Janome that was recommended to me for quilting on my machine, the machine itself is 3 or 4 years old. And I haven't been quilting for hours on end so the machine can't be overheating.

So I read through my owners manual and tried the very short list of suggestions to fix the problem, when none of those worked I tried everything else I could think of including cleaning and oiling the machine, changing needles, changing to different types of needles, changing the thread, changing the foot, playing with the thread tension more, glaring at it etc etc etc.
The weird thing is the machine sews fine when the feed dogs are engaged and I'm using a walking foot, put the darning foot on and it's back to being a disaster!

Has anyone else encountered this problem with a Janome or any other sewing machine? Any advice? I really don't want to send it in to the repair guy (would rather spend the money of fabric!) unless I have to.
Any input would be appreciated!
Zoo

mary quite contrary 12-31-2008 07:21 PM

Are you sure you have your foot down?

Zoo 12-31-2008 07:27 PM

Wow, that was fast! And yes, the foot is down.
The whole thing is just really irritating me because it was working fine, then decided not to work fine, and now I'm stuck half-way through a project I was really having fun with.
Zoo

tnjacke 12-31-2008 08:05 PM

check your bobbin ... see if any lint - short pieces of thread or something like that. is in that area.. also make sure you have the thread thru all the tension loops... do some practice runs and check the movement of your hand speed in relation to the speed of the machine... you may be moving faster than you are sewing or vice versa..

mary quite contrary 12-31-2008 08:22 PM

Completely rethread your machine checking for a bump on the thread or lint somewhere.

Zoo 12-31-2008 08:45 PM

All great advice, unfortunetly I tried all of it before posting.

I cleaned out all the lint below the needle plate and even took the bobbin housing out and clean it. That was after I re-threaded the machine, but before I tried changing the thread. I also took off the top housing to see if the problem was there...mind you, I've never even looked in there before so I wouldn't know a problem if I saw one.
I've also tried running the machine at variouse speeds with my hand going at variouse speeds with the fabric. Still no dice.
Be honest, am I dealing with a gremlin?
Zoo

babeegirl 01-01-2009 06:30 AM

my 4800 does that too. It seems to like the outer half of the bobbin thread but not the inner half. If you switched out your empty bobbin with another full one, it might have been the bobbin was not the same size or maker. Janome's are finicky about bobbins. Take the throat plate off, take the bobbin race out and clean well for any lint. Mine gets cranky if there is even a tiny piece of lint down in there.

patricej 01-01-2009 08:24 AM

i've had the same thing happen on two other brands of machine, also. i guess i'll have it happen, sooner or later, on my janome but i've only had it since November ... knock on wood.

unfortunately, my point is that i don't think it was the machines. in each case it turned out to be some teeniny little detail of somethingorother i'd done not exactly right. (do NOT ask how many times it turned out that i had put the bobbin in backwards. :shock: :oops: :roll: :lol: )

the critical clue may not be what steps or combination of steps you've tried to fix it. rather, what condition or combination of conditions existed when it started.

there is - for me - one unanswered question in your specific predicament. did the problem start while you were sewing? or did it start after you'd loaded something new ... top thread? bobbin? needle?

if it started while you were sewing ... do you remember how much thread was left in the bobbin? on the top spool? how long you had been using that needle?

if it started when you began sewing after changing something, what was that "something"?

take out the top thread. take out the bobbin. take out the needle. put the feed dogs back up. put any regular (or the walking foot) back on. reset the tension to the automatic setting.

walk away and take a break. stay away from the machine for at least an hour. do somethin - anything - that will distract your attention so you can come back to it with a clear, refreshed mind.

start again with scraps, a needle you know is new and of the same size and type you were using successfully, a bobbin of the same type and size you were using when all was well - full of whatever you had in the bobbin when it was working right, and the top thread you were using when things were singin'. just a two-fabric sandwich first.

if it sews properly, add batting to the sandwich.
if it sews properly, switch to the freemotion foot and drop the dogs. don't fiddle yet with the tension.
if it starts building a bird'snest at this point, the problem must be with the dogs. maybe they're not locked all the way down. maybe there's something gunking up their works that you can't see or get to. or ... and i really hope this isn't it ... maybe it's time to take them in for some professional "training".

gcathie 01-01-2009 08:28 AM

Patrice I just love the way you put things.....and so many good points.....surely one of those will work I'm sure...:-)

Zoo 01-01-2009 08:28 AM

OMG babeegirl, how did you stummble across that? :shock: I would have never thought of that! I just tried it and it did improve things but not solve the problem totaly. I've already cleaned out all the lint etc too.
Thing that totaly irritates me is that it was fine for almost half of the quilt, and now it's having problems. If it was having problem right from the start I would have assumed this machine just wasn't up to the task.
So annoying!
Zoo