Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome? Viking? Pfaff? Bernina? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-viking-pfaff-bernina-t163862.html)

vjc 10-29-2011 05:09 AM

I have a Husqvarna Viking 950E sewing/embroidery and love it. My teenage daughter has a Janome 9000 and wouldn't trade it for any other machine. This machine is heavy duty. I also like the older model Sears Kenmores. Heavy duty. The newer models I find are lightweight. Hope this helps.
vjc154

lfletcher 10-29-2011 05:12 AM

I have a Janome 6500 and love it. I believe the 6600 is a newer model with a few more options. You would love it I am sure.

JanetP 10-29-2011 05:14 AM

I have the Janome Horizon and love it.

Pink Dogwood 10-29-2011 05:19 AM

I'm a Bernina Fan! I have a 1630 that is 20+/- yrs and a 180 Embroidery that is probably 10 yrs. I use both all the time with no troubles. Had to bite the bullet about the price when I bought the 1630 all those years ago, but have never regretted it and when it was time for another, did not even consider others. It was Bernina again!

jaciqltznok 10-29-2011 05:21 AM

test drive...as many of the OLD great machines are no longer being made by the same companies..so the quality of a 30 year old Pfaff, viking and even Bernina are NOT what they used to be!
and if you can avoid computerized, by all means do so!

totosmom 10-29-2011 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
Having a trustworthy dealer is essential. Then test-drive with your own fabrics, threads, and typical sewing tasks. Prepare samples of piecing, quilt sandwiches, rolled hems, jeans to hem, whatever YOU need. You've got to love the feel of your machine. That said, I've got several machines, and I think BERNINA has the most power, precision, durability, and reliability. They are more expensive, but totally worth it.

"Nothing sews like a Bernina. Nothing."

Even the older, non-computerized ones are fabulous.

Shorebird 10-29-2011 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by kaykid815
I have a Viking that is 20 years old. It generally does a pretty good job (unless it's in the shop for repairs). Am looking at a new purchase. I'm leaning toward a Janome 6600, but also considering Vikings again. Have looked at Pfaffs and Berninas-- they all are a step up from my old machine and any of them would be a treat. I would really appreciate input from the experts (you).

I have vikings - but because of the dealer, not necessarily because of the machines.....all of the top brands (you have listed them) are very good - but the decision maker (IMHO) IS THE DEALER.....you need one who will take the time to show you how to use the machine, provide classes, answer questions, and in general, support you after the sale.........

CathieB 10-29-2011 05:41 AM

I've had a Singer, Bernina, Viking, Brother and a Pfaff. My Pfaff wins hands down - love the built-in walking foot!

sculham 10-29-2011 06:00 AM

pfaff or janome both are phenominal

franc36 10-29-2011 06:09 AM

I'm a Bernina lover; but I'd also look at the dealer. I'd want to purchase my machine from a dealer who gives good service. Try out all of the machines and buy the one you enjoy sewing on the most. "Nothing sews like a Bernina"; but I'm sure you'll love whichever machine you purchase. Best wishes!