Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Janome vs Viking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/janome-vs-viking-t214100.html)

Mary_L 02-17-2013 05:24 PM

Janome vs Viking

I just joined this group and want to ask some advice. I started quilting 4-5 years ago and have pieced 6 or 7 baby quilts on my 36 year old Bernette. I hand quilted all of them since by current machine does not do that.

I am looking to buy a new machine so I can both piece and free motion larger queen size quilts. I have two price ranges with 2 choices in each range so far:
1. Range under $1000 - A Janome 4120DC - that does has a standard sewing harp space or a Viking Sapphire 835 that has I think 9"

2. Range just under $2000 - A Janome Memory Craft 6600P or a Viking Sapphire 835

I would like to stay at $1000 but an concerned that the Janome will not be the best for free arm. I would like to go for the Viking 835 since it has the harp space but am concerned about machine and I believe they are discontinuing this model

I could go to the $2000 level but ouch! It's a bit more than I really should spend.

So my questions are: Can I really free motion a queen quilt on a machine that has a standard harp space? Is the Viking 835 a good machine and will the discontinuation cause problems down the road? If I spend the $2000, is the Viking 835 or the Janome 6600P the better choice?

Thanks for your feedback - I really appreciate it.

quilts4charity 02-17-2013 05:38 PM

I have a Juki that I bought for less than $800 years ago...it is the TL98Q and she's a dream for free motion...she has a 9" throat, nothing fancy just straight stitch and free motion but that's all you need to make a quilt!!! I think the newer model is a 2000 or something..Brother also has one that is comparable I think...

momto5 02-17-2013 06:21 PM

There are all makes and models of machine that would most likely fill your requirements; however, the one I would recommend (and own) is the Janome 6600P. I also have a Husqvarna-Viking Platinum which I use a lot, and like. I do NOT quilt on either of them as I have a long arm. I do think the harp space on either is adequate to do a rather large quilt. I used to quilt queen-sized ones on my Singer Athena 2010...I still have her; ....I wonder......NOT! Good luck with whichever you decide on!

KansasGirl 02-17-2013 07:00 PM

I have a Husqvarna Viking 835 and love it. I can do free motion on it (queen is the largest I have done )and it comes with quite a few embroidery stitches that are really nice. Also you recieve free lessons with the purchase which really was handy. I learned stuff I had no idea about doing before. I highly recommend it. My previous machine is a Sears Kenmore and I thought it was a workhorse, but I am soooo happy with the Viking.

WandaVA 02-17-2013 07:13 PM

I love my Janome 6600!! I got it 1-1/2 years ago for $1299. I can easily quilt a queen-sized quilt on it. I absolutely love the AccuFeed, the automatic thread cutter, automatic needle up/down (which is a godsend for FMQ), and the bobbin case (optional, about $25) for FMQ. It doesn't have a free arm, but I have that on a different machine--and you don't use that for quilting anyway.

QM 02-17-2013 07:28 PM

I have done many king and queen sized quilts using a 9" machine. IT IS A LOT OF WORK AND VERY SLOW. Doc says it may be the cause of my now disabling L shoulder arthritis. IMHO, Janome is a better bet. Also, I absolutely loved my Husqvarna Viking, on which I made hundreds of costumes and several tents. I stupidly gave it to my (now former) daughter in law when I bought a Bernina. That died after 3 years. My advice is spend the money to get a good solid machine.

watson's mom 02-17-2013 07:41 PM

I have several machines including a Janome 6600P and a Bernina 440 QE. If my house ever catches on fire and I can only save one thing it will be the Janome, hands down. It's just that great of a machine. I sew on it and use it a lot for thread painting as well as free motion quilting. I love it. IMHO.

JanTx 02-17-2013 08:52 PM

I bought a Janome 6600 two weeks ago for $1100. It was a demo model in a quilt shop and came with full warranty. I quilted a full size quilt with it and that size did not challenge this machine. There's a learning curve I'm still dealing with, but I'm looking forward to a long relationship with this machine.

LAQUITA 02-17-2013 09:08 PM

I too have the Janome 6600P. I bought it used from a local sewing machine shop. It had been a one owner and she traded up for a long arm. I spent $1,000 for mine, just a few weeks ago, and I LOVE IT!!! Call around to your local shops and see if they have a used one in.

I have had Janomes, SIngers, my daughter has a HV but I would ONLY by Janome. It is THE BEST!
Good luck with your decision.
:)

romanojg 02-18-2013 06:21 AM

Viking has two new ones out; they are Opals