Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jardin de Versailles quilt (French general) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jardin-de-versailles-quilt-french-general-t309136.html)

speverill 01-11-2020 05:49 AM

Jardin de Versailles quilt (French general)

Has anyone made the quilt by French general ‘Jardin de Versailles’? I am not a veteran quilter but I saw this quilt in FG’ shop and it. Being one not to shirk from a challenge, I bought the pattern, fabric, cut per directions and now it’s time to sew and yikes. What did I bite off??? 😳. Is there anywhere to get help if I have questions? I know I can do it, has anyone made this quilt?
thanks

juliasb 01-11-2020 05:58 AM

I just went and took a look at the quilt. It is lovely. The color palate is very soft and I like it a whole lot. I would call the pattern manufacture and see if they could offer you some hints. I for one have not made it . I do hope someone here has made it or is making it to give you a hand with it.

Iceblossom 01-11-2020 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can do, it's just a panel with borders. A round robin. One step at at time!

It's really the fabrics in this case that makes the quilt.

I'd probably start by doing all those little quarter square units as warm up and what I call "Front Loading" getting the time consuming repetitive tasks done before the fun of putting together the top.

I made a QST recently and I use tape on my rulers to help me with my vision/consistency issues. I had precut squares that varied between 6-6.5", cut them on a diagonal, and then trimmed them down to a consistent 7.5" (non-standard ruler) square. The tape line is the diagonal mark between the 7.5" marks on the sides. I use that and the printed line on the ruler to make my QST square quick and exact.

Rhonda K 01-11-2020 09:01 AM

It's a gorgeous quilt. You can make it!

Take it one "bite" or a stitch at a time. Break it down into small tasks or blocks. If you have problems, give a shout and the members can usually offer solutions and help. Good luck!

speverill 01-11-2020 09:48 AM

Thanks for the replies, I feel less intimidated.

Jingle 01-11-2020 04:19 PM

Welcome to this board, lots of help and knowledge here.

luvstoquilt 01-12-2020 06:40 AM

One step at a time. You can do it! Welcome from Illinois 😁

Jordan 01-12-2020 08:35 AM

I agree that taking just one step or block at a time and it won't be so intimidating to you. It will be beautiful. I love the French General fabrics-they are so beautiful. Please share a picture of your progress as you go. Good luck and have fun making this project

bkay 01-12-2020 10:54 AM

I've re-written this post twice, as I don't want to be either too negative nor too positive. Let me start with a quick story. My sister-in-law took a quilting class years ago and decided quilting was not for her. I kept wondering what happened. Then, one day she noticed a Blue ribbon winning quilt in my cabinet that was gifted to me by a dear friend. It was a Dresden Plate (no wonder she decided quilting wasn't for her). Fortunately, the quilt shop ladies talked me out of starting on a huge project like that. I had planned a queen size Log Cabin quilt as my first endeavor, but ended up making a disappearing nine patch for my first. It was easy to make and was just a lap quilt, so not too big. I also had it quilted, so that took a lot of pressure off.

This quilt is gorgeous, but doesn't appear to be an easy quilt to make and it's a large quilt. It will take a while to make it. Unless you are a lot further along in your quilting skills than I am, it will take a lot of ripping and resewing. Of course you can do it. The question is how long will it take and will you burn out before you get there.

I would suggest you look closely at the pattern and see what you are going to be required to do. Then break it down into sections, which seems doable (maybe make all of a certain kind of triangle or just one border). When you get one section done, maybe put it away for a while. You might want to have some easy sewing projects that you can do that will give you a sense of accomplishment. Then go back to your French General quilt and tackle another section.

This is just my opinion. I lose interest if a project takes too long. I got stuck on one quilt last year and didn't accomplish much in the way of quilting. So, just take my opinion with a grain of salt.

bkay

joe'smom 01-12-2020 08:36 PM

I can't get a close enough look to see what the units of the quilt are like. It doesn't seem to be too difficult. Have you made any quilts?You might try something simple to see if you like it before beginning this one.