Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jelly Roll Race Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jelly-roll-race-quilt-t190276.html)

kay45 05-29-2012 03:43 AM

Jelly Roll Race Quilt

Does anyone have suggestions on how to quilt a jelly roll race quilt? I sewed it together this weekend while hubs was watching the race. I was suprised how fast it went together. Now I need ideas on how to quilt it. Thanks for any help, the quilters on this forum are the greatest.

hsweany 05-29-2012 04:14 AM

I have always done stitch in the ditch. I'm sure there are other creative ideas out there! I'm anxious to hear what others say.

erstan947 05-29-2012 04:55 AM

Our guild is going to do a Sit'nSew the end of July and we are all doing one. Maybe not so much a race but a time set aside to do this fun quilt. I'm leaning toward a meander or large stipple. I'll watch this thread and see what ideas pop up:) Love to see a photo of yours.

kay45 05-29-2012 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947 (Post 5250628)
Our guild is going to do a Sit'nSew the end of July and we are all doing one. Maybe not so much a race but a time set aside to do this fun quilt. I'm leaning toward a meander or large stipple. I'll watch this thread and see what ideas pop up:) Love to see a photo of yours.

Getting ready to sew on the outer border strips, will try and post pic when done. Our guild had a Jelly Roll race day also, there was a lot of neat quilts.

qbquilts 05-29-2012 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by kay45 (Post 5250484)
Does anyone have suggestions on how to quilt a jelly roll race quilt? I sewed it together this weekend while hubs was watching the race. I was suprised how fast it went together. Now I need ideas on how to quilt it. Thanks for any help, the quilters on this forum are the greatest.

If doing on a LA, I would either do a panto or a meander.
If doing on a domestic, I would SID or meander.

babalu 05-29-2012 06:15 AM

I used painter's tape and sewed a lines going down (evenly spaced), and then SID going across, so it looked like a grid. Good luck!

Buckeye Rose 05-29-2012 06:16 AM

Get creative! Try a different pattern in each row....could be as simple as loops or stipple....great opportunity to try new designs.

Skittl1321 05-29-2012 08:16 AM

I am doing mine in a single large spiral. I thought the circle would have a neat effect on so many straight lines.

I'd prefer concentric circles, but I'm too lazy to hide all those threads...

Paula H 05-29-2012 10:04 AM

I just finished one for my son's best friend that is a financial advisor and instead of meandering..........I just kept writing money money money in each row and bordered it with fabric that has currency all over it. It was great fun. My next one is pieced and I'm going to use the shell pattern. Since it is in rows, easy to stay within the lines :)

grammatjr 05-29-2012 10:30 AM

my granddaughter did one, using mainly floral fabrics, then a few daisy appliques, so she just FMQ some daisy flowers and leaves real big over it.