Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jelly rolls;combining washed/unwashed fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jelly-rolls%3Bcombining-washed-unwashed-fabrics-t227083.html)

Somerset Val 08-02-2013 04:14 AM

Jelly rolls;combining washed/unwashed fabrics

Some advice needed, please! I've never used a jelly roll before but have been given two of them (they are both Moda ones). My problem is that I always wash and starch my fabrics before cutting them as I don't like the antique look when shrinkage occurs after washing the finished project (I pre-wash my battings, too). I want to use these jelly rolls as feature fabrics with an added neutral fabric for sashing between blocks. How do I get over the problem of combining washed fabric with unwashed?!

DebraK 08-02-2013 04:25 AM

Enjoy making the quilt, then give it away if it really bothers you that much.

Tashana 08-02-2013 04:25 AM

I was pondering the same question for different reasons. I am making a flannel rag quilt. flannel backing that I found in my stash is washed but the top is a precut layer cake, and obviously not washed. I guess we will just have to deal with the weired shrinking.

Tartan 08-02-2013 04:31 AM

They say not to wash pre-cuts because they can shrink or distort. I have never tested that theory. You could hand wash your pre-cuts and hang them to dry or buy a neutral jelly roll and have it all unwashed and chance a bleed. Maybe someone who uses a lot of jelly rolls will give you more options.

Lee in Richmond 08-02-2013 04:33 AM

If you do wash your backing and batting first, I suspect you will not have a problem with the top made with precut strips. I only get the crinkly look with cotton batting, and if I want everything to stay fluffy and warm (but not heavy) I use thin polyester batt.

alleyoop1 08-02-2013 04:36 AM

Put them in a mess bag and wash them.

alwayslearning 08-02-2013 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 (Post 6210240)
Put them in a mess bag and wash them.

Put them in a mesh bag and hand wash them. You can either air dry or use very low heat.

tessagin 08-02-2013 05:19 AM

I prewash all material including jelly rolls. I have found that if I take 4-5 strips and tack them in a few places, on the each end and a couple in the middle then throw them into a lingerie bag or old pair of panty hose, they don't tangle and fray so much. Panty hose are great because you can tie them off. I've done this with scraps that may have a musty odor from sitting too long. if I get material from others I always prewash.

Dolphyngyrl 08-02-2013 07:50 AM

Shrinkage is usually due to the batting not the top, most quality fabrics don't shrink that much, I even washed flannel from connecting threads and it really didn't hardly shrink. If you don't like the crinkly look use a poly batting since they don't shrink. Cotton battings give the more crinkly look. Are you keeping the project for you or is it a gift, the person recieving may like the crinkly look.

crafty pat 08-02-2013 07:57 AM

I have an old stocking that I stick my jelly rolls in with a color catcher and wash. I lay them flat to dry, spray starch and press. I have never had a problem with them.