Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jenny's video on spring cleaning your machine! OMG (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jennys-video-spring-cleaning-your-machine-omg-t188988.html)

QuiltingKrazy 05-14-2012 03:25 PM

Jenny's video on spring cleaning your machine! OMG

Hey Y'all, I just saw this video recently posted by Jenny at Missouri Star.
http://quiltingtutorials.com/browse-...ning-quilters/ She is showing you how to "clean" out the dust in the feed dog/bobbin area.
All I can say is WOW! I was amazed at how much "fuzzies" she pulled out! I clean mine out fairly often for fear of a costly breakdown. I can't ever imagine pulling out as much out of a machine. I know she sews a lot each day but WOW!

I do LOVE her videos ! All of them!

wannaquilt1 05-14-2012 03:40 PM

wow that was really cool! i have to check my machine now... i don't know how long it's been since i've done that

baslp 05-14-2012 04:30 PM

Thanks for sharing. Now if feel like I can do this!

Chicca 05-14-2012 05:45 PM

I just thoroughly cleaned my Singer 301A yesterday, after a couple months of not being cleaned and only had about a 1/4 of the lint that she did. LOL. Of course, I do not sew 8 hours a day, but do sew a lot. I really enjoy the videos they share. After watching the spring cleaning, I watched the Jacobs Ladder....will definetely be doing that one very soon. Thanks for sharing.

virtualbernie 05-14-2012 05:56 PM

OMG! I've never let my machine get that dirty. I'm glad she did that tutorial though because the machine sounds so much better after it's been cleaned:thumbup:

Peckish 05-14-2012 06:58 PM

I have a little attachment that fits on my vacuum cleaner hose, it's small enough to fit in most crevices in my machine and does a great job. A thoroughly cleaned mascara brush works wonders, too! I have to say, I was VERY shocked to hear her say she sews 8-10 hours a day and only changes her needle when she spring cleans - does that mean she only changes her needle once a year?!?!?!?

Lori S 05-14-2012 07:04 PM

That was an amazing amount of lint!!! I clean mine out about every 10 - 14 days so it (lint) never gets down too far into the machine.

virtualbernie 05-14-2012 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5217310)
I have a little attachment that fits on my vacuum cleaner hose, it's small enough to fit in most crevices in my machine and does a great job. A thoroughly cleaned mascara brush works wonders, too! I have to say, I was VERY shocked to hear her say she sews 8-10 hours a day and only changes her needle when she spring cleans - does that mean she only changes her needle once a year?!?!?!?

I have that attachment too and use it every time I clean my machine. I must admit I'm almost as bad as she is when it comes to changing needles. I only change them if my thread starts breaking for no reason, I get tired of hearing the "ca-thunk ca-thunk" sound or it's bent or broken. I haven't seen any difference in the quality of my 1/4" seams. Even the guy at Superior Threads doesn't recommend changing needles as often as some others do. I've heard after every 8 hours, every new project--I don't have money like that to throw needles away if it's not affecting my quilting. I like saving my money for all the other gadrillion gadgets recommended on this board.:p

Pilgrim 05-14-2012 07:36 PM

I sew everyday so I clean my machine at least once a week. It really collects when you sew alot.

virtualbernie 05-14-2012 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie (Post 5217357)
II must admit I'm almost as bad as she is when it comes to changing needles. I only change them if my thread starts breaking for no reason, I get tired of hearing the "ca-thunk ca-thunk" sound or it's bent or broken. I haven't seen any difference in the quality of my 1/4" seams. Even the guy at Superior Threads doesn't recommend changing needles as often as some others do. I've heard after every 8 hours, every new project--I don't have money like that to throw needles away if it's not affecting my quilting. I like saving my money for all the other gadrillion gadgets recommended on this board.:p

I just read someone's blog that recommends changing the needle every "4" hours of sewing! I really don't have money for that!