Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jenome 6500 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jenome-6500-a-t225698.html)

vtkid 07-13-2013 04:34 AM

Jenome 6500

I have found a used Jenome 6500 for $650. I see that new they are $1500. I don't know much about this machine, but the reviews I've read are mostly very positive.
Any suggestions on what I should look for as far as what it includes, problems, or general questions I should ask?

Thanks!

sewsewquilter 07-13-2013 04:40 AM

As I have never had a problem with my 6500, I am not sure what to tell you to look for. If you can, I would take it for a test drive. :) Good price.

Michellesews 07-13-2013 05:29 AM

I have the 6500 and it is a WORKHORSE! Over Christmas vacation my sewing buddy and I were making each other a bag to haul all our sewing supplies. We saw it on Fons and Porter. There were places in that bag where you were sewing over 10 layers, including batting. I had to put our high end machines to the side and get out the 6500. It sewing through those straps like a knife through hot butter. I will never get rid of that machine. Providing the one you are going to buy is in good working order...you have a steal there!!! Go for it! Michelle

Lucio 07-13-2013 09:07 AM

I bought my 6500 about 6 years ago new at the 4th if July sale for $650. It is a workhorse but mine has a few weak spots. The bobbin winder hasn't worked for the past few years and one of the spool holders just broke off about 4 years ago. I chose not to spend the cost of repairs and continue to use this machine daily.

vtkid 07-14-2013 06:47 AM

Oh yes a test drive will certainly be done!

vtkid 07-14-2013 06:49 AM

The current owner says she has owned it for 8 years. She has had it maintained and tuned up every year. Claims she's never had a problem and it is still in excellent condition. She is upgrading

grammy Dwynn 07-14-2013 08:11 AM

I love my 6500. IMHO, BUY IT! ;)

When I purchased mine new at the shop, about 8 years ago, it came with the acrylic table lots of extra feet (in a handy box), plus walking foot and FM/darning foot. Of course the manual. I would make sure they all come with. Paint chipping has been one of the negative comments that I have heard (mine has some), but it DOES NOT affect the performance of the machine.

Shelbie 07-14-2013 09:48 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my Janome 6500 has not been the "wonder machine" that everyone else here is talking about. I've had many issues with it: balks, growls and jams at seam intersections (we're talking two-four layers of cotton), chipping paint, won't feed fabric in, jams and knots at the beginning of seams, feed dogs on a slant and won't return to proper position, changes tension and stitch length on its own, bobbin case jumps out of place causing needle to go through case ruining it, burning out lights very frequently and worst of all a dealer who claimed all of this was due to "operator error". This was the most expensive machine that I ever bought and the worst! Check any used Janome 6500 very carefully as there may be more lemons out there, (I swear my machine was made at ten to five right before a holiday weekend!)

Lucio 07-14-2013 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by vtkid (Post 6176747)
The current owner says she has owned it for 8 years. She has had it maintained and tuned up every year. Claims she's never had a problem and it is still in excellent condition. She is upgrading

If this machine is 8 years old I think the price is too high. I suspect she is selling it privately because the dealer offered her much less on a trade-in. I would check to see what Janome dealers are asking for a 6500 that old and figure out what their overhead might be.

QuiltingKrazy 07-14-2013 12:39 PM

If the test drive goes well.... SNAP IT UP! I love mine! Workhorse is an understatement!