Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jo Ann's buyout? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jo-anns-buyout-t84710.html)

sewjoyce 12-23-2010 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Maybe it will end up being a good thing :D:D:D

I sure hope so!

husband-of-a-quilter 12-23-2010 08:38 AM

Actually this could be a good thing since it is going private. Only time will tell though.

husband-of-a-quilter 12-23-2010 08:38 AM

Double post, sorry

C.Cal Quilt Girl 12-23-2010 08:55 AM

Wow that's very interesting... may have some good results.

Hopefully will help with the whole, so much on sale can't use the coupon. Are generally profitable retailers, all we can do is watch and see.

merridancer 12-23-2010 09:24 AM

Just remember that in any buy-out, the new owners have to have enough profit to pay off the debts that come with the buyout.....

CarrieAnne 12-23-2010 11:32 AM

I havent heard anything!

Nolee 12-23-2010 11:38 AM

We had a Sears repairman come out about 3 years ago and told us that nothing but trouble came out of the buyout by KMart of the appliance giant. He had worked there 30 years and we were his last job.....he was getting out. He said that the employees suffer because so many benefits are taken away but also that the customers suffer because management lets things go to pot in a financial sense.

We can only be positive and hope this one is different.

omak 12-23-2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
Buy-outs by groups like this, only interested in grabbing as much money as they can and with no genuine interest in the business, usually don't work out well. Very sad to hear this.

Pretty much the way I see it. Yeah - - there is money going through there today, but dollars to donuts, the people buying the store doesn't know WHY it is making money ... when the fabric looks like the cat drug it in because they were taking the cheapest they could get - - well, you get the picture.
For some reason, a lot of people with money don't have any brains - - consistently kill the goose that lays the golden egg.
Business sense, like integrity, is not inherited - - one either has it or one had better learn it, cuz without it - - one is not nothin'.
Okay! I do believe in plots, and I am thinking that the combination of no manufacturing to speak of in the US of almost any product + the fact that foreign companies own more companies (capital) than US companies cannot bode well for the American citizen. <wave>

Nolee 12-23-2010 01:02 PM

[quote=omak]

Originally Posted by akrogirl
I do believe in plots, and I am thinking that the combination of no manufacturing to speak of in the US of almost any product + the fact that foreign companies own more companies (capital) than US companies cannot bode well for the American citizen. <wave>

And it appears that those in charge of our government don't have the same logical sense that you do in seeing that coming, Akrogirl!! Frog in the frying pan and the water's ready to boil????

cosyquilter 12-23-2010 01:14 PM

When all the jobs have gone overseas, so we here are all jobless, where are the markets for those goods? One point to going overseas is extremely low wages, so the people who are making the goods don't have the money to purchase them. I was highly amused at some gov't official went to India to develops markets there: most tech support for computers is now in India.!