Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   JoAnn's bamboo & cotton muslin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joanns-bamboo-cotton-muslin-t96300.html)

0tis 02-02-2011 07:41 PM

I was in JoAnn's yesterday to pick up muslin - I saw this new 50% bamboo and 50% cotton muslin fabric - it was so soft so I bought a 12 yd bolt - when I got home I noticed that it says dry-clean only - Anybody else use this? I think I am going to snip off a piece and see if it will stand up to machine wash.

hazeljane 02-02-2011 07:44 PM

I love it and wash it with no problem. I have made several quilts using it.

marknfran 02-02-2011 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis
I was in JoAnn's yesterday to pick up muslin - I saw this new 50% bamboo and 50% cotton muslin fabric - it was so soft so I bought a 12 yd bolt - when I got home I noticed that it says dry-clean only - Anybody else use this? I think I am going to snip off a piece and see if it will stand up to machine wash.

I have some and already washed it. Looks fine to me and is soooooooo soft. Hope to find more!!!!

quiltsRfun 02-02-2011 10:36 PM

Maybe this is a case where pre-washing would be a good idea. Sounds like wonderful fabric. I recently used bamboo batting and really liked the feel.

Margie 02-02-2011 10:39 PM

I dont know about this fabric...I havent seen any yet. However, many times I buy 100% cotton home deco fabric that says "dry clean only", I use it to make table cloths. I wash it, dry in dryer and it comes out beautiful. It wears well on the table too. I also hand wash many wools that say dry clean only. I try to use dry cleaning for only things like winter coats.

ckcowl 02-03-2011 05:35 AM

i haven't bought any at Joannes, and have not seen a dry clean only on the fabrics but i bought bamboo/cotton blend fabrics a year ago and used them in a quilt and in a couple table runners...washed up just fine and is beautiful...holding it's color, and soft hand beautifully!
i have a cotton sweater that says dry clean only too...but i wash it all the time...
i would cut off about a yard, wash it, dry it and see how it does. i did notice when i washed mine there was NO SHRINKAGE...like you get with 100% cottons.
my wools all say dry clean only but they wash up so beautifully!

willferg 02-03-2011 07:50 AM

Once I picked up a home dec remnant in Joann's that said 100% cotton AND dry clean only. I asked the employee (a manager) why it was dry clean only, and she said all the home dec fabric was marked that way. She felt that washing it would not be a problem...

CarrieAnne 02-03-2011 07:54 AM

I will have to look for it!

sewwhat85 02-03-2011 12:22 PM

i have seen it not tried it

swade 01-17-2012 07:12 PM

Well, you've gotten many replies - all of which are positive for the product. I continue to go back to JoAnn's in hopes of finding it again - I love it so much that I only use it on 'special' quilts. I make a lot of QOV's (that's quilts of valor for wounded soldiers - and if you've served, you've been wounded) - anyway, when I use this material, it makes the quilts POP - I love it, I've washed it, and I even pre-washed it. It is the prettiest white I've found. I'm still searching for more of it - I've been spoiled by the 50% off coupon and haven't been able to find it again in any JoAnn's store!