Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Joanns fabric quality (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joanns-fabric-quality-t96390.html)

carolaug 02-03-2011 02:47 PM

I totally agree with this quote!

Originally Posted by miholmes
I have purchased almost all of my notions (cutting boards, gingher scissors, Olfa products,etc) from Joann Fabrics. I also buy my batting (warm & Natural)by the bolt from them. They are FANTASTIC when you buy from them when they are on sale or with a coupon.

So for those items I really love Joann Fabrics.

When it comes to their fabric.....not so much. I will echo that I think a lot of their fabrics fade terribly, even after the first wash.

My other opinion is that if you have a LQS you should try to patronize them as much as you can. They are a local business and I feel the money I save from getting discounted notions and batting, I can apply towards thread, fabric, and other items from my LQS.

In a way the savings I get from Joann Fabric, allows me to spend more money at my LQS, and keep them in business.

Just my opinion. If I had an endless supply of money I would purchase everything locally. But I don't so I need to save where I can and spend smartly.

quilt1950 02-03-2011 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by miholmes
I have purchased almost all of my notions (cutting boards, gingher scissors, Olfa products,etc) from Joann Fabrics. I also buy my batting (warm & Natural)by the bolt from them. They are FANTASTIC when you buy from them when they are on sale or with a coupon.

So for those items I really love Joann Fabrics.

When it comes to their fabric.....not so much. I will echo that I think a lot of their fabrics fade terribly, even after the first wash.

My other opinion is that if you have a LQS you should try to patronize them as much as you can. They are a local business and I feel the money I save from getting discounted notions and batting, I can apply towards thread, fabric, and other items from my LQS.

In a way the savings I get from Joann Fabric, allows me to spend more money at my LQS, and keep them in business.

Just my opinion. If I had an endless supply of money I would purchase everything locally. But I don't so I need to save where I can and spend smartly.

Yup, couldn't have said it better. Also, I have noticed that even though all the flannels are the same 'brand' (can't remember what it is), the quality of the flannels is not the same.

Holice 02-03-2011 02:57 PM

only word I have for JoAnn fabric quality is "mixed". Hand test to be sure it is what you want.

featherweight 02-03-2011 04:59 PM

Reguardless of what some people say about JoAnns fabrics. I have been using it for years and have never had a problem with any of it. It isn't Quilt store quality but again, I'm not paying Quilt store prices either, and what Quilt store offers coupons???

seamstome 02-03-2011 05:05 PM

I just made two quilts from Joanns fabric. It was not nearly as nice as LQS fabric. OTOH, these were both project that I was not emotionally invested into and were charity type things so I didnt really care. For my own and for things I care about, I would not use their fabric from the wall and the other is overpriced IMHO.

Janetd 02-03-2011 05:11 PM

I rarely go to JoAnns anymore. For thread if I need some. I think the quality of fabric has really gone downhill. I made quilts from there when I first started about 18 years ago and they were very nice. These days the fabric is just too cheap for the money they want and I wouldn't trust it to last. Also they don't look like they're dyed well anymore. I get much better quality on the internet sites. When I find a fabric I want I search & search till I find it at the best price I can possibly get. Well worth it for better fabric!

KarenR 02-03-2011 05:16 PM

I guess I'm spoiled. I love our small town quilt store. I would rather buy quilting matrial from them than JoAnns but I do buy tshirt material from JoAnns.

Lori S 02-03-2011 08:06 PM

You can do better on line at places like Thousands of bolts or Fabric.com , both carry high quality at very reasonable prices.
I use Jo Anns for supplies like batting , thread etc. and then only on sale or with a coupon the regular prices are no bargain, by US standards.

LivelyLady 02-03-2011 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
This is only MY OPINION... I do not like the quality of their quilting calico cottons, usually displayed on one wall and I believe sell for $4 and change per yard. You will easily spot it. When I first started quilting I did not know any better and my first and second quilt was 100% JA calico fabrics(goes by the store name Keepsake and in no way related to Keepsake quilting). I found the fabric to fade a lot more then fabric I bought later from LQS. In places it became threadbare with basically no wear and tear on the quilt (in a guest room that is used infrequently) and many of the lighter colors you can basically read a book through it. Oh and a few darker colors bled and continue to bleed. Unfortunately at the time of construction I did not know about Retayne.

I find their other quilting cottons way over priced. Higher than LQS prices but I do not find it to be the same quality of LQS fabric in feel so I have always passed on it and never bought it. For example I have seen batiks in JA at $12+ per yard that are not as nice as the batiks in my LQS which are priced at $8 to $10 PY. South Seas Imports brand I have seen priced at JA at $11 PY in my LQS at $8.

However, JA is a good place for notions and batting provided you have a 40 or 50% off coupon. JMHO.

I agree. I do buy notions, books, batting, etc but not the fabric.

MerryQuilter 02-04-2011 02:53 AM

I mostly stick to their quilter's flannels which I put in chenille throws. Do not find their quality or feel quite up to LQS.